Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner December 2015

Absent Friends and Family

SunnyPinkConfetti310, 3 of August of 2015 at 22:11 Posted on Planning 0 10

My OH isn't much of a talker so I've accepted I'm gonna have to do a speech because he won't. I am hoping to persuade him to do the toast to the bridesmaids but we will see how that goes.

I was thinking of doing a toast to absent family - 3 of my grandparents have passed away along with OH's uncle and it would be nice to publicly acknowledge their absence and raise a glass. Has anyone else done this? Not sure what I'll say, as I don't want to put a dampener on the proceedings.

Any advice?

10 replies

Latest activity by Наталия, 22 of October of 2020 at 22:12
  • yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I asked my Dad to put it into his speech and he did it really well. We had people who travelled from all over the place to come to the wedding - Wedding in N.Yorks - we had guests from Wales, Cornwall, London, Nottingham, Ireland, Australia and we'd travelled from NZ to get married, so he talked about that, and about how some people were absent because of the distance to travel, and that for some there were 'greater distances' he mentioned grandparents as neither of us have any living grandparents, then he did a toast 'to friends and family who are with us in spirit' meaning anyone who wasn't there whatever the reason. So it wasn't gloomy at all.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

A small table in some area with their photos and some sort of sign saying they are missed?

Im sure I've seen something like that on Pinterest.

Jayne x

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

My sisters husband did it at their wedding during the grooms speech. We all raised our glasses and did a toast. It felt significant, and I'm glad they did it. I don't think it put a downer on the day.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's going a bit far for my taste, as they're a constant visual presence, which has the potential to upset people who were close to them.

I'm attaching small pictures of my grandparents to my bouquet, so they're with me when I get married. Then I think if either myself or my Dad mention absent family then that will be enough, I just wanted to check it wasn't "morbid" and it was an actual thing! Thank you all.

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsLloyd2b ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I are going to light a lantern together in the reception room before all the guests come through for the wedding breakfast and it will sit up on one of the window ledges, we'll have a little sign saying something along the lines of "in honour of those watching from heaven". We'll also raise a glass to our absent guests in the speeches. I like the idea of the lantern burning all night whilst we celebrate. I didn't want photos as I think it may upset some of my guests. Here's my inspiration pics

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to talk about absent friends/family for a long time but a short toast in their memory is a lovely idea. They all form part of who you both are today.

The absent friends/family toast is forming part of my OH's speech but I don't think it will put a dampener on the proceedings.

I think it is something a lot of weddings have now and family/people who knew and loved them will think it is a lovely gesture to remember them on the day.

Both our granddads passed away from Strokes so instead of doing wedding favours, we have decided to put a little note on every table to say that we have made a donation to the stroke association in their memory. Our mums and my nan really liked that idea.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a lovely idea. I did get frames to put photos of family up as we lost my Aunt in April but wasn't sure where to put them. May steal this idea instead Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's morbid as long as you don't dwell on it and make everyone cry! I've been to several weddings where the groom or father has made a brief mention of people who couldn't be there and we toasted to them. I thought it was nice.

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    SunnyBlackConfetti19 ·
    • Hide content

We've talked about this right through the planning as I want my dad to be acknowledged somewhere. Have asked the celebrant to do that during the service though and we're planning to have a toast to absent friends during the speeches - think my husband (very odd writing that!) will do it but I'm still considering doing it myself, if I can be brave....

My bridesmaid lost her husband earlier this year, and as a close friend of both of us he was also going to be one of our ushers. their daughters are also our flower girls. We definitely need to remember him, I want to be able to stand up and do it for him, and for his wife/my bridesmaid and the girls, but if I get upset it'll set us all off and we'll have a room full of weeping guests!

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

How about you include the more emotional part in the ceremony rather than the speeches? People expect to cry during the ceremony! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics