Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2016

Absent friends toast?

MrsLBtoB, 17 of December of 2015 at 11:14 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi All

Just wanted to get some opinions on this as we are really torn.

My granddad passed away last year and my OH's grandparents are no longer with us so my Nan will be the only grandparent at our wedding. My grandad passing is still very raw in my family and I am the first of the grandchildren to get married so emotions will be high anyway.

We arent sure whether a toast to absent friends is what we want to say. We want to remember them but it just doesnt feel right to say absent friends.

We dont want the speech to be morbid at all but cant think of anything else to toast which will remember them approproately.

The only thing we can think of is to say that there are people who cannot be with us today and to raise your glasses to "loved ones" - what do you all think or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you x

7 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 19 of December of 2015 at 11:51
  • Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that sounds fine - maybe add something on the end such as raise glass to loved ones - those who are here and those who sadly can't be with us. x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I like raising glasses to loved ones rather than absent friends. X

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

We are also planning to toast our departed relatives and I think that sounds lovely.

Otherwise, you could say that you're sure they are here with you in spirit? My uncle had not long died before my brother got married and he raised a glass "to Sean. We miss you but we know you're here with us - you never did miss a good party"

It got a little chuckle, even though it was so sad.

All my Grandfathers have passed, so I was going to do something like this too:

http://bridalmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Elegant-Navy-and-Coral-Wedding-Simply-Jessie-Photography-4.jpg

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

I didn't meant to imply (if that's how it came across) that using "absent friends" as the toast was morbid, we just dont want the speech to be too sad given how raw it still but, using absent friends just wouldn't feel right to us but each to their own of course.

We'd like to keep it positive if we can whilst still remembering them thats all.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

My fiance isn't much of a talker so I'm doing a speech, and I'm going to briefly mention the loved ones who aren't with us and propose a toast - I also like the idea of toasting to "loved ones" rather than "absent family/friends".

It was suggested to me that we have a table with pictures of all the departed on, but to me that is morbid. A few words in a speech to show they're in your thoughts isn't morbid at all.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

We are having a candle to one side with a little sign to say it's for loved ones... Thought about photos but it would be a little much for me... My sil had photos of parents and grandparents weddings but as my side isn't married that wouldn't work! To loved ones is lovely x

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I think if it's still raw just a short simple statement is the best way to go such as a toast to loved ones and I would recommend the groom does it and end of the best man speech so it's not the last thing said

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics