Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2017

Acceptable journey distance from Church to Wedding Reception?

lauren_millington@hotmail.co.uk, 23 of November of 2014 at 20:38 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello Hitched Universe

I am newbie engaged bride-to-be, stupidly organised and even more so excited! (only 1 week engaged!)

As part of the start of my journey we are looking into a ceremony and reception in Essex...

My OH is set on having our wedding ceremony in St Thomas's Church is Noak Hill. essex (120 Cap)

We have been hunting for a nearby location for our reception, however the nearest ones have been taken by my soon to be sister in laws (previously held receptions at The old rectory in Dunton)

We have been hunting around and have found most wedding venues extortionate in comparison, including Mulberry House, Frien Mannor, Oresett Hall to name a few

We have fallen in love with channels golf club in Chelmsford, approx 34 minutes drive from the wedding ceremony...

Is this an acceptable time to drive to the next part of the wedding? We cannot seem to find a venue within our budget (we have a good budget but I have a huge family so big numbers to cater) Channels seems to offer it all and within a budget we're looking for

Any suggestions, or, do you think that travel time is acceptable?

Sorry for rambling, very excited!!!

Thank you

Lauren x

8 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownDiamonds138, 23 of November of 2014 at 22:07
  • B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lauren first congratulations on your engagement?. I think 35 minutes is acceptable, I cant remember a time this year where it has been under 35 minutes travel from church to venue so the only thing you have to think about is how your guests are going to get to the venue from the church, can they make their own way by car or will they they transport provided.

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    lauren_millington@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bruce

Thank you very much!

That is great, thank you

Our wedding ceremony is in the sticks so car transportation will be required, there is overnight parking at the venue along with hotels nearby so shouldn't be a problem!

Thank you again ?

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I would personally be fine with that travel time. Ours is 20-30mins depending on traffic. We have only provided transport there of a vintage bus. We will provide taxi numbers for the return guests to use and provide details of hotels also. Guests are usually good at sharing taxis etc for their way home. That's what we have done when attending weddings or events

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

I think that time is fine, so long as you provide transport between.

I recently went to my cousins wedding, and between their ceremony venue and reception venue it was about 40-45 mins (by car it was only 20 mins, but they had a vintage bus, which had to take a longer route due to low bridges!)

I think because we were all on the bus together it was fine as everybody was able to chat away!

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I think 35 minutes is fine...I wouldn't expect transport to be laid on either, though perhaps if you knew you had guests who didn't drive you could chat to guests that did and organise some car shares? Or put people in touch to share a minibus taxi? We travelled about 40-45 minutes I think at my brothers wedding, and about 25 mins at another wedding we went to a couple years ago, it wasn't an issue at all, people will have lots of notice where your venues are so can arrange travel plans. That said I am glad, and lucky, that ours is a two minute walk away!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I'm a wedding photographer and see 30 min journeys between venues regularly. I've done a few that have been 45 min. I think if it's 35 min there's nothing to worry about. The usual thing is to provide transport though.

It may be that you start transport at the reception venue, with the guests meeting there to park and coach/classic bus departing a hour before the ceremony.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

I'm surrently working through the same issue and have a couple of options 25-30 mins away. Think that's prefectly reasonable as we're in a fairly rural area. Trying to decide on how to get everyone around though, as half my family don't drive

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I think half an hour is the max time i'd ask guests to travel from church to reception. Keep in mind if some of your guests are already travelling from far to get to the church x

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownDiamonds138 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, first of all congratulations. Channels in beautiful it was one of the first venues we looked at. We have 40 min travel between church and reception, it is my thinking most people will be in cars and leave them at reception venue (hotel) those who arent driving I have told I will help them arrange a lift ( on invitation)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics