Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsB88
Beginner August 2015

Accommodation for guests. Advice please

MrsB88, 19 of October of 2014 at 08:48 Posted on Planning 0 9

So our venue (Gaynes Park in Epping, Essex) has what they call a coach house for guests to stay in the night of the wedding. The coach house is not included in the price of the venue. It has 10 rooms & costs £1600 whether 2 rooms are full or all 10. We pay for it 4 months before the wedding (if we choose to have it. There is a cottage on site for bride & groom which is included in the venue price) and we have to allocate the rooms & give venue the allocation list. So its not a case of telling all guests (200 of them) there are rooms, if you want to book one feel free. The price includes check in from 12pm day of the wedding, night cap drinks served by waiters for the coach house guests after the wedding, and a fully cooked breakfast again with waiter service & check out at 10:30am the next day. We originally decided to have it & invite our parents, siblings, bridal party & their partners to stay. However now theres opinions from our parents that we should offer the rooms to people travelling from far.....anyway now we are having second thought due to the price & our growing budget! I think we can offer the bridal party rooms for £160. That way we save £1600 from our budget! However my dad (traditional italian dad who thinks he should be paying for everything for everyone!) thinks this is rude to ask them to pay! He says he will pay for it if we want it. But suggested myself & groom just stay in the cottage & have breakfast the next day ourselves, guests can stay in local hotels. Dad also agrees that £1600 is expensive for the coach house. What do you guys think?? When i mentioned to h2b about not having it, he's response was 'oh but my parents really want to stay there!' and when i mentioned it to my moh, she said she will be happy to pay for a room as she really wants to stay there. Arghhhhh advice please!

9 replies

Latest activity by MrsEdwardstobe15, 6 of March of 2015 at 20:38
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Guests normally pay for their rooms so it shouldn't be a problem. I would offer it to the bridal party for them to pay and guide your other guests to other local hotels. Perhaps try and book a deal with one and encourage your guests to stay there. Family politics can be tough though :/

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

What is the cost for the local hotels? Is your Dad wanting to pay for the other hotel instead?

My thoughts if so are maybe offer the coach house at a reduced rate and if your Dad insists on paying, just pay what he would have paid for the other hotel?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would want bells and whistles for that price - pool, sauna etc. If OH bridal party want to stay there then they can club together and pay the price tag!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice ladies. Spoken with my dad today & he has come round to the idea of asking bridal party to pay for their own rooms. Still think its going to cause issues though so may just scrap the whole thing & me & groom just stay in the cottage. Was at my aunties & she just assumed she would be asked to stay in the coach house. Grrrrrr. Family politics are a nightmare!

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsEdwardstobe15 ·
    • Hide content

We're having the same issue, my fiancé's aunt, partner & two kids presumed they would have rooms in the coach house from day 1 but we would like our wedding party, parents & siblings and their partners to stay with us I don't think it's fair asking people to be bridesmaids, best men etc then not have them stay at the venue and enjoy the experience with you so we're going to have to tell them they will need to stay at a local hotel instead which is going to be awkward!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've now decided not to have the coach house. Was causing too much stress!! Me & h2b will be staying in the apple loft cottage and everyone else in local hotels. I feel much better about it all now. A heavy weight lifted off my shoulders x

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsEdwardstobe15 ·
    • Hide content

Ah that's a good idea! Do you live local to Gaynes Park?

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

We live in Enfield, so about 20 mins away. You?

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Thats sounds like the best option. If our dad wants to pay for something, what about pre-booking a few taxis to take guests to their hotel afterwards?

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsEdwardstobe15 ·
    • Hide content

Oh that's good! We live in Billericay at the moment but have just bought a place in southend-on-sea so it'll be around 50 minutes away once we move

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics