Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sparkly Bear
Beginner October 2015

Actual goldfish as a table centre piece.... Update: debate over - we aren't having the fish!

Sparkly Bear, 9 of July of 2014 at 13:22 Posted on Planning 0 56

Hello ladies,

I just wanted to gain your thoughts on having real goldfish in bowls, with decorations and a little sand as a centrepiece for a table?

We are having a beach theme and this is one of the ideas we have. We have spoken to family and some think its a brilliant idea - whereas others have said they don't want to be eating their dinner whilst looking at a goldfish.

We would obviously ensure that the fish are fed at an adequate time - my BM has volunteered - as to make sure that they don't get over fed by the guests - and then after the wedding my MIL and said they will have them as they were wanted a fish tank anyway.

What are your thoughts on this? Would it freak you out? Do you think it wouldn't be safe/fair for the fish? Or do you think it would be a lovely idea?

We are only having 6 tables plus ours, so would need 8 fishbowls in total - and then depending on size we would have either 1 or 2 fish in each bowl.

xx

56 replies

Latest activity by Sparkly Bear, 15 of July of 2014 at 16:41
  • donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

I think its a great idea. I saw this on four weddings once. I say go for it!! X

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

The fish will not be happy in those tiny bowls. I say don't do it.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

Sounds well cool... providing they have a good home to go to after, which you say they do. X

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

The RSPCA aren't keen....

http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2013/01/22/planning-an-event-remember-fish-arent-party-animals/#.U702uPldUS4

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Please don't. A lot of fish end up dead as guests do silly things like feed them wine etc. it's cruel.

And what are you going to do with them afterwards? Edit: I see you've answered that one.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Terrible Idea!

No reputable shop would sell you fish for this purpose. The 'fish' bowls you buy for wedding centerpieces are for decoration, not suitable for fish. The surface area of the water isn't enough for them to get oxygen. Being moved and transported will upset the fish, as will the loud environment of a wedding and people touching the bowls etc.

The fish would most probably die as a result of you doing that, it's so cruel.

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

WKharvS

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do agree with some of the points they are making. I hadn't thought about the music in the evening being too loud for them. I guess that's the end of that idea then!!

Or maybe i could have them for the day and then change them for something else in the evening?!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I'd say no, a friend of a friend had these and whilst they looked lovely when they were alive and swimming around, by the end of the night all the fish were dead. I think it's cruel personally. They're living creatures, not decorations.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Awful idea. Cruel. I'd be absolutely disgusted if I attended a wedding with goldfish centrepieces.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But the blog post says this...?

"Providing all of this in a table top fish bowl or in a small container people can take home is pretty much impossible and you are going to end up with some pretty sick, if not dead, fish."

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Or maybe you could choose something else?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Buy fake fish.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Really really awful idea.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

Oooh yeah. these are some really valid points... drunk guests and gold fish, hmm perhaps not such a cool idea. that's a shame though.. maybe get the robo fish, lol. X

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.kellystoyroom.co.uk/toys-playsets/aquabot-with-bowl_ct117pd380.htm?gclid=CPXA5qWiuL8CFenItAod5FkASA

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, we certainly could have something completely different. As I mentioned in the OP it was just an idea we came across as the weekend; and as the family had given us mixed opinions i just wanted to see how you ladies on here felt.

It seems the general consensus is that it would be cruel to keep the fish in the bowls (also supported by the RSPCA blog) - so that is my question answered!

Goldfish are off the list!

Thank you for your comments and thoughts on the subject ladies x

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These look cool though!! Definitely worth looking to see if i can get some real looking fake fish!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to answer without reading beyond your original post, just so I'm not influenced by others:

The use of live animals for the purposes of wedding decoration/entertainment disgusts me. This would be especially true for animals deliberately placed in such vulnerable positions.

Do you really think they'd be safe? Cop on.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Also, goldfish don't live near or on beaches.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Where are you going to run the cables for the filters? It's cruel to keep a fish in a tiny bowl with no filter system and also how are you going to prevent them getting knocked over/guests putting alcohol etc in bowls when a tad tipsy or kids putting their hands in. As much as it sounds like a great idea i would not like it as a guest and I certainly wouldn't have it as a bride

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Just seen your other post saying you won't go for it and I'm glad to hear it :-) have you thought about having shells or something instead? If you google beach centrepieces there are some stunning ones x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I am glad that you have come to your senses and realised how cruel this idea is.

I'm afraid for me it goes in Wedding Room 101 with pigeon lobbing and dead butterfly launches.

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am aware of this - but thanks for pointing it out! ?

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes we have a few other ideas involving floating candles in bowls with sand and seashells at the bottom. We are also considering driftwood with flowers intertwined with little fairy lights. We also though about making little beach huts (my OH is quite arty) although not sure what to put with them or how to use them as a finished centrepiece!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I think others have throughly covered the 'don't do it. It's cruel, irresponsible and immoral' aspects.

Try something like these instead:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/dbolduc3/beach-theme-dining-party-ideas/

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have never heard of either of these! *goes to google and looks*

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep! It's been covered!

Thanks for the link! My pinterest board is full of ideas like this We had thought of doing something with Starfish (not real ones, ceramic ones) but we aren't sure what though!

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I can see its already been covered off and you plan not to go ahead with the goldfish.

My opinion if I was a guest at the wedding with live goldfish.... I'd be very worried for them, someone would be bound to slip them wine, kids would try and poke them, the bowls would be too small. So I am really glad you have decided against this idea.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Ooooo beach huts would work well with sand and mini shells around them. There are too many choices with beach theme I think I would over do it haha

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are thinking of having them double up as table number with a flag coming out of the roof containing the table number! I just don't want it to get too expensive, and i don't know what i'd do with 8 beach huts once the wedding was over! We have plenty of time to decide - i'm just trying to get ideas in place from a cost/savings perspective! x

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of the beach huts doubling up as table numbers. It's easy to get carried away with spending but if you live next to a beach abuse it haha I look forward to hearing more about your plans :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics