Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sparkly Bear
Beginner October 2015

Actual goldfish as a table centre piece.... Update: debate over - we aren't having the fish!

Sparkly Bear, 9 of July of 2014 at 13:22

Posted on Planning 56

Hello ladies, I just wanted to gain your thoughts on having real goldfish in bowls, with decorations and a little sand as a centrepiece for a table? We are having a beach theme and this is one of the ideas we have. We have spoken to family and some think its a brilliant idea - whereas others have...

Hello ladies,

I just wanted to gain your thoughts on having real goldfish in bowls, with decorations and a little sand as a centrepiece for a table?

We are having a beach theme and this is one of the ideas we have. We have spoken to family and some think its a brilliant idea - whereas others have said they don't want to be eating their dinner whilst looking at a goldfish.

We would obviously ensure that the fish are fed at an adequate time - my BM has volunteered - as to make sure that they don't get over fed by the guests - and then after the wedding my MIL and said they will have them as they were wanted a fish tank anyway.

What are your thoughts on this? Would it freak you out? Do you think it wouldn't be safe/fair for the fish? Or do you think it would be a lovely idea?

We are only having 6 tables plus ours, so would need 8 fishbowls in total - and then depending on size we would have either 1 or 2 fish in each bowl.

xx

56 replies

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    thewanderingwebster ·
    • Hide content

A candle/tea light inside the beach hut perhaps?

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good idea - we already have the mirror boards to place them on so we could sprinkling some sand on top of them and then sit the beach huts on top of the sand with a little light in! I think you can buy automatic flickering tealights - at least that would be safe and we wouldn't burn the marquee down! x

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We don't live near a beach, but my parents do! ..... ? I'll keep you updated! x

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    thewanderingwebster ·
    • Hide content

I hope this doesn't sound crude but what about a small sandcastle with a flag in it with the table number on?

If you bought a sand castle bucket, covered it with glue and sprinkled sand all over so it would stick, it would look like it was made with sand. You could put that on your table on a small mound of sand and pop the table number on a flag on top of your sand castle?

Alternatively a bucket and spade?! You could pop some pretty flowers, shells and the spade in the bucket and have the table number on the spade?

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love these ideas!!!! and both are very cost effective! I love the top idea though, they would be really cheap and so much fun to make, and they would look awesome! I will definitely look into this one! Thank you! x

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

Skeppers (Skeptical) did an amazing job on the beach theme with loads of lovely DIY touchs. She's been MIA since her wedding I think but its worth searching for some of her old flash posts etc to get ideas.

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Red Kite - i shall do just that!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

This. Poor fish ☹️

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Glad you aren't going for live fish.

You could carve carrots into goldfish shapes, that looks fabulous (as long as you are really crafty).

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

I have a ridiculous phobia of fish, if I walked into a wedding and they were on the table u wouldn't see me for dust! I can't go to restaurants if they have them in tanks and can't walk past the fish counter in the supermarket!!! Xx

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

Saw this on 4 weddings. Did look good but yeah too many mixed opinions. The range offer a wedding 'range' and I know there's a whole section on beach themed weddings. Take a look at the type of decorations they offer. It made me want to change mine to a beach theme (marrying in a barn in winter I don't think that's feasible!) good luck xxx

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Thank god some people on here have some sense... some little facts about goldfish:

* they are a breed of carp

* they live 40 years

* grow to over 1 foot long

* require a minimum of 40 liters for 1 baby

* adolescences+ need over 3 foot minimum to swim lengths

* are temperate fish not cold water

the most common causes of death in order are:

* ammonia poisoning from being kept in small or unfiltered tanks

* shock or nitrate/nitrite from repetitive water changes and movement

* de-oxygenation from unfiltered/un-airated water

* stress - could be caused by multiple things but normally vibration

* parasites, fungi and bacteria

people have great misconceptions on goldfish - education need to happen

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

Fish shaped floating candles?!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Please don't use living creatures as decoration :-(

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I think that's really cruel, I don't agree with using animals as decoration. Pick something that isn't living.

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have just seen these in Matalan and thought of you... beach hut picture frames, could be good for table numbers perhaps! Or for your OH to steal the design idea if he is arty! https://www.matalan.co.uk/sale.list

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

now they are cute! and very cost effective!!

I found these earlier - they are currently my favourite!!

http://www.coastalhome.co.uk/blue-beach-hut-storage-box.html

x

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Oooh beach huts!! That's an idea!!

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bettybubble ·
    • Hide content

Just don't get one of these cakes!

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/7/10/something-wrecky-this-way-comes.html

• k.j.w
    Beginner June 2017
    k.j.w ·
    • Hide content

Hey i remember reading this last week & just realised we had this at home (excuse the net curtains behind it) what about some glass fish in a bowl, with sand & shells at the bottom

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

If you don't have real fish, as a youngster I had some floating glass fish in a bowl at home!

They are made from beautiful decorated glass and they hang from clear string attached to a glass bubble on the surface.

Google them... And you could make each table different with different fish for your beach theme

xx

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are cute! I'll have a Google when I get home from work!!

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

You're welcome MrsBW, and thank you for such kind words ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics