Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2015

Adding maiden name to middle name

Kerrypug, 10 of June of 2015 at 13:12 Posted on Planning 0 24

I'm struggling with the idea of totally getting rid of my maiden name when I get married in just less than 2 months. I've considered moving it to my middle name, so I was just wondering if anyone has done this? I've been googling for a while and I can't find any more practical info on things like how it's done, do I have to tell the registrar before or do I do it by deed poll after the ceremony (therefore affecting the marriage certificate?). Just so many unknowns and I don't want to do something stupid like accidentally nullify my marriage or something ?

My passport is due to shortly after the wedding and my only other official ties are to my bank (no driving license/mortgage etc at the moment)

In a weird way I think it would be a nice nod to my fiancé too - he also has 2 middle names and one of them is weird and doesn't sound like a proper name - so we'll match!

24 replies

Latest activity by Marcus, 2 of October of 2021 at 19:26
  • It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

It took me a while to get used to my new name, romantic as it is! So I think keeping your maiden name as a middle name is a great idea! Not sure how you do it though ?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I seem to be the only person alive who didn't struggle with this. i just did it. when i sent my marriage certificate off to the passport people, i wrote my maiden name in the middle names section and they sent me back my passport like that.

then i used the passport and marriage certificate to change my name elsewhere as both were legal documents........

yet i seem to be the only person who has managed to do this :/

odd. very odd

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content
  • K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, I've been on there but am still unsure about the whole marriage certificate thing i.e. does that get issued on the day and without my surname at all?

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have been told that the certificate is issued on the day. The registrars have to speak to you beforehand anyway so just mention it to them then. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to show you what to do! :-)

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Your marriage certificate will have your current name on there. As it suggests, if you get your passport and/or driving licence changed first, you'll find it easier to do the banks etc.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My H did this but he was also taking my surname, so as the law is more vague in regard to men changing their name upon marriage, he took out a deed poll after the wedding. Our marriage certificate still states his old surname, just like it would regardless. Our registrar did ask if I was changing my name and we explained that he was taking mine instead, but they said that was only so they knew how to address the envelope when posting it. However, we got married in Scotland and I suspect certificates might be different there...

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Oh okay, here's a pdf of an example English marriage certificate and it shows only your current name, ie the one you have before the ceremony:

https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/

So anything you do after your wedding will have no effect on the certificate.

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, this was really helpful. I'll arrange the deed poll and sign it on the date of the wedding. Job done!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

No probs. My H would have done this, but your witnesses to the deed poll have to be not related to you, and everyone at our wedding was family! So he arranged to meet with some friends for them to do it a week or two later. By the way, we used freedeedpoll.org.uk and it's as simple as can be. You just need a printer and maybe some nice paper.

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, thanks! It seems really weird - being able to do something like this for free?!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

It IS weird. But I guess you can make a will for free so it's kind of the same (something else I've been meaning to do since the wedding...) When I changed my surname many years ago, I didn't realise you could do it for free and paid - only about £40, but still. The only way mine is different to H's is I got a nice plastic folder to keep it in!

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I might be being thick here but why do you need a deed poll? I curious as I am doing the same thing, keeping my maiden name as a middle name and that link previously for the deed poll office says you don't need one?

If you want to change your surname to your husband's surname, but keep your maiden name as a middle name, you can use your marriage certificate — you do not need a deed poll, provided that all the key details stay the same (that is, you do not add or remove any other names, or change any spelling).

I thought this would be more straightforward!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

LOL, H and I still find it hilarious to refer to his "maiden name".

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I think it is a nice idea to change your maiden name to your middle name. I would have been tempted if l hadn't kept my maiden name at work and just changed to my married name at home. That alone seems to have blown a lot of peoples minds! Responses include "you can't do that" and "why bother getting married"?

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I'll be doing it as our kids have my maiden name as their middle names. OH is thinking of doing the same so that we all match :-)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank God I haven't had any remarks like that. I was reading some of the comments on Zoe Saldana's facebook post about her H taking her name and they were bad enough. Stone-age level misogyny out in force.

• Phil Harrison Wedding Photography
    Phil Harrison Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

I think my wife would have liked to have kept her maiden name sometimes! I have seen it done.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33085652

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Several people sent this to me today and yesterday. A shame they couldn't come up with much in the way of real-life examples!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

InkedDoll increasingly as l get older l think life is about putting up with other people's stupidity and laziness. From the comments made to me it appears some people think marriage is all about changing your name to someone else's name?!

• L
    LuxuriousRedDecor635 ·
    • Hide content

First of all, you're not weird. Second, there are professionals whose work is helping people change their names. You can find one through this link: https://www.ukdeedpolloffice.org/contact-us/

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

My husband-to-be changed his name by deed poll to be hyphenated with my surname. When we married, I then took his hyphenated surname as my own.

• M
    Beginner August 2021 West Yorkshire
    Marcus ·
    • Hide content
    You can keep both if you use a deed poll. That’s what u did. I think it costs around £15 from www.changemyname.org.uk or you can get and enrolled version offline for £45

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics