Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CharleeA
Beginner April 2013

adding sleeves to wedding dress

CharleeA, 9 of February of 2013 at 14:29 Posted on Planning 0 8

Im getting married in nine week and as of yet my dress isnt in yet. Its a sweetheart neckline and as much as I love it I always right from the beginning wanted a dress with sleeves in. However, i love this dress but no sleeves. It does have spagetti straps (which i hate) so they are going to take them off for me but now im wondering if they will be able to add sleeves to my dress?

Has anyone done this? Can i be done? I bought my dress from a well known chain bridal shop and it has its own seamstress.

Thank you x

8 replies

Latest activity by HappyPinkStationery13451, 14 of October of 2019 at 13:58
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I would have thought it depends on the dress. Have you asked the shop?

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the dress and what type of sleeves you want putting on, but I'm sure most seamstresses could do it. I wanted a dress with straps but was told by the staff in the shops I visited that they were easy to put on, so not to restrict my choice by not looking at strapless dresses. I went for a strapless dress and have an appointment a few months before the wedding with the seamstress. Time may be a bit of a factor for you, especially if the dress isn't in yet, as I was told at mine that for alterations such as straps, etc that I should get booked in about 2 and a half months before the wedding. I think you should phone and speak to the store and ask them when the dress is likely to be in and maybe if they can book you in with the seamstress provisionally?

• CharleeA
    Beginner April 2013
    CharleeA ·
    • Hide content

Sounds silly but i dont want to sound really stupid by asking them in case they think that Im totally daft! x

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I had cap sleeves added to my dress. They were detachable so I could remove them after the religious service and some photos. Pics in my report below.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

bugger that! You are paying them enough money I am sure! Ask away!

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This

Totally agree, what's the worst they can say....

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Please dont be afraid to say what you want, unless you tell the shop how are they going to know?

Classic example this week, I have a very busty bride (a HH cup) who really wanted a dress with straps and that didnt scream "heres my boobs!". We found the dress for her, it was ordered and arrived this week. She came in for a fitting and it looked stunning. We took up the straps (why do designers think we are all giraffes ☹️) and were chatting away when she said to make it "more than perfect all it needed was cap sleeves". Promptly produced some chiffon cap sleeves, pinned them under the straps and she burst into tears! Had she not made the comment we would never have known that this one simple addition was what was needed to make it perfect.

• H
    Beginner August 2021
    HappyPinkStationery13451 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit late to the party here, but if you weren't able to adapt your wedding dress, you could try a lace top or bolero to wear over your dress. I got one from Lacey Bell https://laceybellshop.com/wedding/bridal-jackets-shawls-tops/bridal-tops

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics