Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner March 2016

Advice from Hargate Hall (Buxton) Brides or guests please...

2016springbride, 23 of September of 2014 at 18:22 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi ladies

I was wondering if anyone out there has had or has been to a wedding at Hargate Hall in Buxton? If you had I would love to hear your opinions on the venue.

I love the idea of the venue. I love that we can hire it for the entire weekend, get married there, have our reception and provide accommodation for our family and close friends however... I have cut my guest list as much as possible and its hovering at around 80 people. Whilst it will be a quash the main hall can accommodate us for the ceremony its the reception that is proving a problem. I have been to view the venue and look at the reception options and I understand my wedding party will not fit in the main hall for the food/reception so the owner suggested we hire their marquee which we are ok with (despite the extra £2000 to an already & £6000 price tag). However they will not allow us to have any a band or DJ in the marquee and say if we want music we will have to move into the Hall, but I do not see how 80 people will fit in that hall. If the weather is great then it would be fine as people can mingle inside and outside but if it rains non stop and everyone needs to be inside it would be a ridiculous squash. We have offered to pay for a licence, we have offered to turn the music off at 10pm in the marquee but he basically said if you don't like what he's offering go else where. I am really disappointed but I want to really make sure it cant be done before I cross this venue off out list.

So my question really is if anybody has had or been to a wedding at Hargate Hall with a guest list of similar size how did they manage it? Was it ok and comfortable without feeling like sardines in a tin can or am I wasting my time on this venue and need to get over it and move on. The owner says its done just fine 40 weekends of the year but I don't trust his opinion as he is very obviously trying to make a sale and doesn't particularly seem to understand our concerns.

I hope I am not sounding like a terrible bridezilla. Its just so important to me that everyone has a nice time. Thank you very much for reading. Any advice welcome and very appreciated. xxx

9 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousBlueDiamonds49, 21 of December of 2014 at 21:19
  • A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

I was excited to see you post as we are also considering Hargate Hall, it is our first choice really. I have also been to a close friend's wedding there. In terms of space, it worked ok. It was a May wedding and a horrible cold, rainy day. My fiance plays in a band and they played at night. I think it was a little bit of a squeeze, as in not loads of space to be moving around but it wasn't an issue to be honest. You need to really put people in the apartments on the ground floor who don't mind sharing their communal space and then open up the lounge areas I think. I think it depends what you want - it is certainly more of a relaxed house party type feel than a formal hotel wedding. It didn't feel like sardines, but then it wasn't how you get at more formal events with small groups of people being able to chat with a lot of space around them. Our guest list will be at least 100!

For the ceremony, there were some chairs and we just stood at the back, which was fine but again depends how organised/ formal you want it and if you would be happy with that arrangement.

The reason I am hesitating is the cost and the amount of organisation! We are planning to book the wedding for April 2015 provided the dates don't all book up so it will be a lot of work. My friend said it worked out quite reasonable overall but I can't see how really with the £8k cost of venue and then caterers - they had to pay quite a lot as had to pay for hire of ovens etc as there is not a catering kitchen there. I know you can make some money back by asking guests to pay for accommodation, but realistically I would only look at using half of the 77 beds as I wouldn't expect 4 to share a room.

What other options are you considering - are you local or just looking for a DIY venue? When are you thinking?

? x

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

It's not place I have heard of but I would find it strange not to be able to have a band or DJ in a marquee, his attitude would also send alarm bells for me at this early stage and make me think what other things are going to be forced etc. I don't think your being bridezilla at all!

Beginner March 2016
    2016springbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much for your reply Sarah. I'm glad its not just me that thinks its all a bit odd. I'm definitely going to tread carefully. Its just such a good venue for us I don't want to give it up but I also don't want to spend the next year plus worrying about it all! xxx

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know what you mean about not wanting to lose a good venue (we almost lost ours to bats - long story!) but for the price your paying I would consider having another hunt around.

We had friends have an entire weekend wedding at a national trust lodge (it was in Scotland) but there may be some around the peaks.

Beginner March 2016
    2016springbride ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ibsheffield

I hope you got my email reply. Im totally happy with a more casual atmosphere. Part off the reason I love the venue that it will allow for a really relaxed time (I hope). We are not really very fussy. I don't need posh I just want happy guests and to have a lovely time.

It is expensive but to honest I have searched for weeks for something else like Hargate and cant find anything else within our budget.

We are not planning a sit down 3 course meal. We are thinking of a hog roast and a buffet. The catering company we are looking at brings all the cooking equipment with them so I don't need to hire anything else from the venue.

I'm a Derby local so Buxton is about an hours drive from me. I would really like a DIY day just so I can chose my own caterers and supply my own alcohol. We would like to get married April 2016 time but considering booking soon as already some of the weekends have gone! I though 18 months to plan would be ages. when did people start booking venues more than 2 years in advance!!! lol

xxx

• hargate
    hargate ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I just wanted to offer some feedback on this regarding the marquee. We have around 15 houses within a couple of hundred meters of Hargate Hall. If we were to have discos in there every weekend we would very quickly alienate them as well as having the permission for the marquee removed, in which case everybody loses out. We are very clear on our website that the marquee is only to be used as a dining room. Music and partying in the main hall can carry on till you drop, as the wall thickness acct as a great sound proofer.

Every venue is different and you have to find the one that is right for you. What we offer is not for everyone. Rather than aiming for 3 weddings each weekend we we hire out for the whole weekend, so having 40 a year is about right for us. I don't want to put the hard sell on, in fact the opposite. I only want people to book here who fall in love with it for what we are.

I fully understood your concerns which is why I said we have lots of weddings here, many of whom had put reviews and comments on various social media platforms which we link to on our website for all to see. Some couples have up to 150 guests Yes it gets very crowded, but as one of the other commenters has put, there are plenty of other rooms that can be used as overflow/expansion areas.

Beginner March 2016
    2016springbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Who knew all this stuff would be so complicated. Thanks again. x

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    LuxuriousBlueDiamonds49 ·
    • Hide content

This is my first choice venue too.. I live in the north east and need to view it in person still but it sounds pretty much exactly what we want.

We are looking at maybe 120 guest list. It's not you normal wedding but I think that's a great thing.

im very excited to go see it and chat with the owners.

Hoping to book august 2016 ☺️

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have now booked our wedding there for next year - feel free to PM me for any advice/ questions. We are having 95 for the day and another 30 for the night and I think it will be fine space wise. But obviously you will need to go and see it and see what you think!

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    LuxuriousBlueDiamonds49 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know how to pm lol but I defo have lots of questions.!!! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics