Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner May 2018

Advice May Bank Holiday Wedding ... Good idea ?

Caramel18, 20 of June of 2016 at 12:52 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hello Smiley smile

So we have planned our day with the vicar for 5.5.2018 and confirmed it with our venue, however after getting home we quickly realised that this fell on a bank holiday (Saturday).

Initially we were happy with it being on the bank holiday weekend, as we thought it would be better for family members who are travelling 4-5 hours to be with us, however after lots of comments from several relatives we are now doubting ourselves.

The vicar and our venue had the 12th May free as well, therefore it would be simple enough to move to the following week ? Or should we just stick with the 5th, the price of the venue was the same and they didn't appear to even recognise it was the bank holiday.

17 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePurpleHair599, 31 of July of 2016 at 14:00
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Ok, so I'm biased as I'm getting married 30.4.17 which is the Sunday of May Day weekend Smiley laugh

We haven't seen any price hikes from vendors, and have encountered no issues.

What comments have you been getting? I'd've thought people would love having 2 days off work after the Wedding! Smiley smile

xx

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I agree with Stephisaur I would have thought people would be happy to get an extra day off especially those with long travelling time?? weddings on bank holiday weekends seem to be booked up super quick so I would say well done on securing one!

Plus as that will be the may day bank holiday think of the fun you could have with the themes :-)

I would say if you're both happy with the chosen date (and you obvs are if you've booked it) then remain as is - relatives have just under 2 years to come to terms with it!!

• T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

My guests are very pleased that we've given them two days hangover recovery (and, I suppose, travelling) time by having our wedding on the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend. Just sell it to them that way if anyone thinks it's a problem, though I don't see why they would.

We also haven't found anything more difficult or expensive due to the bank holiday. Stick with your date if that's the one you want!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I dnt see why it's a problem for guests unless they usually take their holiday then. If they need very but accommodation they might need t book it a little earlier.

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a bank holiday Sunday. None of our guests were unable to make it and nothing was more expensive than usual. We sent out save the dates a year in advance to give people plenty of notice.

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what everyone has said. My friend's wedding was the Bank Holiday weekend beginning of May just gone. We traveled 3hrs to get there the day before and home the day after - the extra day made all the difference to us!

What kind of comments have you been getting? If it's people moaning about the date because they usually go away or do something else that weekend or whatever then I would say sod them - if they want to be there they will be. I'd say send your save the dates out about a year before so people have plenty of notice and won't have booked anything else yet.

Your wedding, your day. Be prepared for everyone to suddenly have an opinion but stick to your guns, no matter who you're going to upset. The only people who need to not be upset are you and your OH.... (sorry for the mini-rant... two years of putting up with people interfering/making derogatory comments right there!)

• C
    Beginner May 2018
    Caramel18 ·
    • Hide content

I thought they would too, but people keep saying that prices will increase etc. which i don't think they will as its the Sat. Also people like to go away for bank holidays, however I'm now coming to the conclusion if they can't make the effort then why should i waste my budget on food ! haha

xx

• C
    Beginner May 2018
    Caramel18 ·
    • Hide content

I love this ! This is exactly what i needed

Thanks xx

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding was 28.05.16 so bank holiday Saturday and our guests were really happy with that date! We sent out save the dates in advance, and a couple of evening guests missed it (as it was school holiday week too), but everyone else made it and loved having the long weekend. I think you should stick with it!

On a side note, we ended up going to the pub on the Sunday with some of our good friends and had such a laugh remembering the day etc... and then we still had another day off, loved it! :-)

Think you are unfortunately experiencing the first instances of everyone having an 'opinion' about what you should do for your wedding... this will happen the whole way through your planning (as I'm sure many OMs and B2Bs on here will tell you), so you will get used to having to smile and nod politely but then continue planning your wedding as you want to... otherwise you risk the day not being what you and your OH really want just to please others.

PS how exciting to have a date booked... congrats :-) xx

• C
    Beginner May 2018
    Caramel18 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the supportive comments everyone ... we are sticking with the 5th May 2018 !

I will get save the dates out early and let key people who are travelling know of local accommodations so they can get booking, other than that people will have to work around it, i think you are all right i need to stick with it and ride out peoples opinions. xxx

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

My wedding fell on a bank holiday ... And I have no regrets.

May is a fab month to get married and it avoids the big summer holiday when lots of people have holidays planned.

Good luck!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

The only thing I can think of people complaining about is that train and hotel prices will be more expensive, unfortunately.

Do you have preferential room rates at the venue of your reception (if it's a hotel)? If so, make sure people know this.

To be honest though, it's not worth stressing over. The people who want to be there will find a way to be there - the people who don't want to be there, won't. Win win situation Smiley smile

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Bank holiday weddings always have a great feel about them!!!

Definitely stick to your date and have an awesome wedding day.

You always get some moaning whatever the reason??!

• It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a perfect date to me, and the whole wedding will have more of a holiday, relaxed feel :-)

• C
    Beginner May 2018
    Caramel18 ·
    • Hide content

No, its a marquee with no accommodation on site for us or guests ... we have found an amazing boutique hotel 4 minutes away that we are booking, and I've found a couple of self catering cottage / houses that can be rented for the full weekend Fri-Mon, and if they fill them up the price is fairly cheap £50-70 per person for the 3 nights ! Which i doubt people could find in hotels for 1 night really, so I'm hoping people will go with that suggestion (we have majority of his family travelling from london and oxford to yorkshire) or find their own and not complain too much !

• E
    Beginner September 2016
    ExpensivePurpleBridesmaid569 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea!!!! I can't believe you got venue for same price - they usually charge more!!! Lucky! Xx

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

It sounds perfect all round. We went to a wedding last year in May & the weather was lovely & the flowers all out making for a stunning day. Having an extra day off is a bonus for guests too.

• E
    Beginner May 2018
    ExpensivePurpleHair599 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so happy I found this post! This is the exact date we are planning to book (our venue's calendar opens tomorrow and I am beside myself waiting to get on the phone at 9am pronto to hopefully get the date!) I've had to compromise a little as I really want to book a date as soon as possible, but the venue only opens in April and my OH wants a summer wedding so May was the compromise! I think the Bank Holiday will be great, so far the venue and the caterers costs are the same any time of the year anyway; we are asking people to travel about 3/4 hours so fingers crossed we get the date and it all works out - please cross your fingers for us fellow brides to be!!!xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics