Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Purple Pixie
Beginner July 2012

Advice needed about music (or not) for ceremony and drinks reception

Purple Pixie, 25 August, 2011 at 11:29 Posted on Planning 0 3

We can't have a band in the evening (local council noise regulations) so I really want some live music during the drinks reception. I've found a brilliant duo that I'm thinking of booking so that was almost problem sorted.

I would also love to have some musicians in church. At a bare minimum I'd love something sung or played during the signing of the register. This duo will come to church but I can't help thinking that it would spoil the 'suprise' a bit for the drinks reception. I haven't got any friends or who can play or song so that's not an option.

Is there something else that could entertain our guests during the signing of the register? Am I being silly about wanting to keep the duo just for the drinks reception? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

PPx

3 replies

Latest activity by Purple Pixie, 26 August, 2011 at 09:53
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I totally get you wanting to keep the drinks reception duo a suprise as I am doing something similar and looking forward to seeing the guests reaction and enjoying it.

Is there a budget for music and does it extend to hiring a pianist or harpist for the chuch ceremony?

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely leave your duo as a surprise. I second jojo2, maybe a solo musician for the ceremony? Maybe a classical guitarist or singer?

This is quite a good resource for hiring musicians:

http://www.entsweb.co.uk

Good luck!

• jordas20
    jordas20 ·
    • Hide content

I'd avoid going to an agency and book direct with the artist, as you're bound to save money there. Also you can speak to the musician direct and therefore give them exactly the right instructions for your ceremony.

If you are having a church wedding you might want to think about music as your guests enter (about 15 minutes), your own entrance music, the hymns, three songs for the signing of the register, and the all-important exit music for the newly married couple. Finding the right music says so much about you and your day and will be one of the first things you hear if you have a videographer!

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I completely agree about music being really important. I play several instruments and there's rarely a moment when I'm not listening to some music.

I can't really afford to book the duo let alone anybody else but it's probably the one and only thing that I'd be prepared to put on the credit card.

My worry about getting somebody different in for the ceremony is that it's such a short time and yet their fees are still really high. At least I can justify a large sum for a duo who are going to play over a longer period.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics