Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2012

Advice needed - Bridesmaid dresses

sharples, 15 January, 2012 at 12:51 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married on 1st June (not long to go) and am having difficultly knowing what to do about the bridesmaid dresses. I'm having three adult bridesmaid and my dilemma is that out of the three, one is abroad (coming back on 15th May) and one is pregnant (due early April).

So, what do I do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have thought about waiting until May when all bridesmaids are in the UK - but worried that this will be too close to the date and that it could be a bit stressful!

I've also thought about ordering made to measure dresses through an online website (JJ's House) - ordering two now and my pregnant bridesmaid dress once she's given birth, BUT am a bit sceptical about this.

If anyone has used online sites and can recommend any that'd also be much appreciated!

Holding out hope!!!!!!!!!! ?

9 replies

Latest activity by Cariss1, 6 May, 2013 at 22:49
  • SWEETPEA23
    SWEETPEA23 ·
    • Hide content

Every bride has the same dilemma, if not a pregnant bridesmaid or people overseas, bridesmaids come in all shapes and sizes and It's always going to be hard to buy dresses for people that live some distance away.

I would recommend not to buy the expensive made to measure dresses, as this will be even harder to manage. Even though brides like to think that bridesmaid dresses will be worn after the event, the maids will very rarely do this, and so it's best to buy dresses that suit your theme, fit well, and do not go over budget!

I got married last July and bought my dresses from Marks and Spencer, months in advance. I had 4 adults maids (Size 8, 10, 14, 18) The dresses were full length duchess Satin which stretches, and I found fit every size as well as I had hoped, plus the dresses were long enough to be taken up for the shorter maids with ease. I later recommended the same dresses to a friend who got married in November, and she had a bridesmaid from italy and one who was pregnant so not too dissimilar to you.

I have looked and M&S online exclusive range and they still have the same dress, as well as new styles. Have a look at M&S wedding shop (www.marksandspencer.com)

Depending on what you choose, If you do select duchess satin dresses, they could be easily altered to fit the growing baby bump by removing the skirt lining at the waist or choosing a less fitted dress that is empire line to fit under the bust giving room for bump.

Your bridesmaid overseas - You could also ask your bridesmaid to send measurements and compare these with the dress once you have bought it, or post the dress overseas recorded post and if it doesn't fit the dress could be sent back and exchanged for a different size.

I hope this helps you ?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Are you wanting them to all have the same dress? would it not be easier to take the two with you for a look at what colours that suit them ...then use the colour as the between the three of them, then the one abroad could find a dress send you pics/look online, the two here could find similar ones.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you pick a colour and have them pick them out themselves? All my BMs are abroad and we did one round of shopping together when we got together last year. Then they decided which dress they liked. I wasn't worried about having matching dresses and it made it so much less stressful for me to try to coordinate them all. They all picked out a floor length pink dress in different shades with slightly different styles but I think they'll all look great together.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.dailyshop.com/Bridesmaid-Dresses/currency-GBP.html

Just posted this elsewhere.

Dresses are cheap as and come in any colour. They can be made to measure of off the rack sizes. I'd probably use a similar site.

My bridesmaid dresses were £15 from Oasis so I'm all for doing stuff on the cheap ?

• C
    Beginner December 2015
    Cariss1 ·
    • Hide content

I would have them give you there measurements and order them now because there is no time. When your bridesmaid comes she can get the alterations done there. I used this site www.justthebeginnings.com. You can get them in about 2 weeks if you order something in stock.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Or the poster could just spam off.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I was curious and did the same. ?

• C
    Beginner December 2015