Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner September 2012

Advice Needed - Church Wedding Notice Period

amanda66, 23 March, 2012 at 19:54 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi Ladies,

I'm new here so be gentle with me ha-ha.

Ok so we have found out we are getting some unexpected money that we have decided to use to get married. We've had confirmation that it should be here in the next 2-3 weeks.

My question is how much notice do you have to give for a church wedding. We were originally looking to get married early 2013. Although if we get this money we could pay outright. How much notice do you need to give to get married in a church. I know we need to get our banns read and things but not looked too much in to it as we orignally were thinking about a venue wedding.

Can any of you ladies advise?

Thanks

Amanda

4 replies

Latest activity by amanda66, 24 March, 2012 at 15:14
  • Tallulaha
    Beginner November 2012
    Tallulaha ·
    • Hide content

Welcome and congratulations!!

We gave our notice last Saturday and get married in November this year...the notice is only valid for 12 months so you could probably do it anytime now but certainly no rush - it just entails a 16 day public notice for anyone to object and then you're good to go!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Hello

Firstly, congratulations.

If I were you I would be asking the church for any available dates, that way you will know what your choices are. The banns have to be read 3 or 4 consecutive weeks in the church service and you and your h2b would both need to attend (if you do not regularly attend the church anyway). Once you have spoken to the church you will be able to make an informed decision

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

In a church you need your banns read on 3 consecutive sundays before the wedding. Our wedding is 25th of August and out banns are being read 3rd, 10th and 17th of june, but they could have been read later, it just depends how the vicar wants to do it. When you book the wedding the vicar will tell you when he wants to call your banns.

In a registry office you need to give 17 days notice, for the public to object. Its a bit different as you have to go to the registrar's office and tell them of your intention to marry.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Just remember that if you get married in a different parish from where you live you also need your banns read in that parish also- then you get piece of paper confirming the banns have been read so you can give to your church where you get wed at Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

Thank You for the congratulations and for your help ladies. We will be getting married in our parish church so only one lot of banns to be read.

Waiting untill the £££'s hit the bank and then we'll go and see the vicar.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics