Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner

Advice on dress alterations

darkivy, 7 April, 2010 at 08:20 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi!

I have managed to acquire a lovely wedding dress for my wedding in October, it isn't quite my size but was too much of a bargain to resist! It is about 1 size too small. I am wondering how easy it is to have a dress taken out 1 size, i.e is it a big/difficult job and would I be better off finding a dress in a larger size? The dress just has a side zip, not lace up and is halter neck. I can do the zip up about 3/4 of the way it just needs taking out a little bit to make it fit. Any advice or tales from other people would be very much appreciated!

11 replies

Latest activity by darkivy, 7 April, 2010 at 21:59
  • Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Hhhmmmm I'm not sure about this at all. My dress was taken IN about 2 dress sizes which I know is about the maximum they can go that way. As for taking out, I think it will depend how the dress is made and you would probably have to take it to an alterations place for the correct answer.

Only think I'd say is that I wanted my BM dresses taken out slightly at the waist to make them a little longer and they couldn't be cos of the way they were sewn. Thats BM dresses though, there might be more 'play' with wedding dresses.

Bets of luck with it

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was the same as Gillsy's. I had mine taken in 2 sizes but one of my bridesmaids was able to have her dress let out a bit (about an inch). Probably best to let a dressmaker take a look as they should be able to tell you. I think it depends how much material there is in the seam (and how many seams there are) - although I may be completely wrong!

Probably not much help, sorry.

ETA - where are you based? I can recommend a lady in Essex who would be able to tell you if its possible and the cost involved if that's any help.

• L
    Beginner October 2010
    LauraJaneRush ·
    • Hide content

That sounds so familiar!!! I am also getting married in October and I have brought a bargain of a dress thats 2 sizes too small.

Mine is strapless with a zip. I am having a lace up back put in which makes it bigger.

I am also losing weight so Im hoping that I will be able to fit in the dress as it is but Im having a lace up back put in regardless as I prefer them.

Did the shop you get it from recommend any one to alter it? x

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies.

I am based in Northampton.

Laura can I ask how much it cost to get yours altered? I am hoping maybe they could take the zip out and put lace in, that would help, but if it is going to be major surgery then might be easier to give in and get a bigger dress! Have lost a bit of weight but seem to have levelled out now and am not optimistic about losing enough to make it fit unfortunately!

Thanks x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the seam allowance, which in many dresses is not very much, about an inch. Not very much to play with. Unless your dressmaker inserts a panel of fabric down the back or extra fabric darted under the arm into the seam, but it may look a bit odd..

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

As teehee say's, it differs dress to dress, but as standard, there won't be much 'excess' on the seams, so there might not be much to let out.

The best thing to do is to take the dress to a seamstress/dressmaker who can see the actual dress and give you a better idea (and they will also be able to give you costing) x

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I also have a dress 2 sizes small and was assured when I bought it that this could be made to fit.

I haven't taken it yet but I plan on having the zip taken out and lace up put in with possibly a panel at the back. I am not a fan on lace up's where you can see the skin anyway so this suits me.

I really hope this can be done as I was told or I am screwed!

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

Oh thank god there's other people around who have bought a dress thats too small for them, I'd started to worry I'd done something really stupid. Mine fits on the bottom but is 2 sizes too small on the top (broad back and huge boobs? ) The dress shop told me I can get it let out at the seams by at least a dress size and I'm getting a panel in the back so I can fasten the lace wider.

Of course I'm also going on the obligatory wedding diet but I've just consumed half a ton of easter eggs so that doesn't help!

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How funny. I thought I was the only one buying a dress too small. Mine is zip and i need to slice a few chocolate bars off my thighs. Teehee is right about seam allowance. However (and hate to say this) I have been told buy two seamtresses (albeit my grandma and my ex's mum) that you can't make it bigger! So im hitting the diet, but also going to see an amazing seamtress soon who im hoping will fill me with confidence.

• FunkyDiva
    FunkyDiva ·
    • Hide content

As others have said it is possible.

I work in a bridal shop and the seamstress there regularly lets dresses out, but it does depend on the manufacturer and many other factors such as what detailing is on the bodice.

It does depend as others have said how much seam there is (some manufacturers give a lot more than others), also there is the option of a lace up back (with or without modesty panel)

Best advice it to get it looked at by a seamstress and see what they suggest.

• FunkyDiva
    FunkyDiva ·
    • Hide content

Also wanted to add that after ordering my dress I put a little weight on and my dress was slightly too small around the boobs. My seamstress let it out (without lace up back as mine was zip) and you could not tell it was let out at all. Only myself and my mum know that the dress did not originally fit.

So it can be done.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everybody, glad to know it's not just me! Knew the dress wouldn't fit but can't resist a bargain! Will perservere with the diet but am going to find a seamstress and see what they can do. Thinking if they could take the zip out and put in a lace up panel that would be good, but I always knew it might not be that easy so am still searching for plan B dress as back up! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics