Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

advice on fastening suspenders?

I-go-by-many-names, 29 of January of 2015 at 13:34 Posted on Planning 0 18

This is a bit of an embarrassing problem, I am so rubbish at fastening suspenders to stockings/hold ups! I have never got the hang of it and very rarely wear them, only on special occasions. I am having a boudoir shoot on Saturday and the photo shoot itself lasts approx 1 hour and you're allowed 3 outfits. 2 of the 'outfits' I have chosen require me to fasten suspenders and I'm worried I am going to take forever to get them on and not have much time for actually taking photos! I'm also worried about ruining my nails as when I fiddle about with them they can scratch my nail varnish.

Any tips?

18 replies

Latest activity by I-go-by-many-names, 1 of February of 2015 at 12:53
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Are you wearing a suspender/garter belt or a bodice thing? If it's a garter belt, you can attach the stockings before you put it on. You gotta wiggle into it and then sort of guide it upwards as you put the stockings on, so it's still a faff, but it works. Otherwise, just try to twist the stocking top as far round towards you as you can when you're doing the back ones. I can do the front ones fine but always struggle with the back!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ID, I'm not sure what a garter belt is? I think I have a suspender belt, it fastens at the back like a bra round the waist. Good idea attaching the stockings first, I'll try that. Not sure it will work for the other thing I have though. Its like a bra with a top attached to it and the suspenders are at the bottom, its really hard to describe! I'll see if I can find the actual thing online...

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Here is my suspender belt

http://m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_161010325985_-1

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

A suspender belt is like:

I usually think of a garter belt as being deeper (like up to your waistline), but google images seems to suggest the terms are interchangeable, so I dunno now!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

And here is the other thing I was trying to describe

http://m.annsummers.com/p/extreme-boost-ivory/black-multiway-plunge-cami-suspender/01srcias1113030

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Is the other thing more like this?...

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, wow I love that by the way!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Damnit, Ann Summers is blocked here, sorry! Plus Hitched is being super glitchy for me and we're cross-posting.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I had a real problem with this at my boudoir shoot so you aren't alone in finding them fiddly!! In the end with the full bodice I fastened the front ones then just tucked the back ones in. You can't tell on the shots - if I was walking then I imagine they might start rolling down but for the hour I was posing in them it didn't seem to matter. Last time I wore stockings properly to go out my H had to fasten the back ones for me as I just couldn't do it. Funnily enough he didn't seem to mind! ?

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

This is kind of what I'm hoping tbh! Its so annoying, sometimes I think I've done it then I'll go the bend or sit down and they will ping off. How did women manage before tights?!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I find loosening the back suspenders so they are longer than you need helps. I do the front first then the back and tighten them after

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Also tug them before tightening them to make sure they are secure and make sure you have stockings not hold ups as the extra rubbery thingy round the top makes it harder to fit. I sound like I wear them all the time haha but I really don't I just struggled with them too!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I asked the photographer for help at mine! She was happy to help and as a result, it was easy and done in just a few minutes ?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMcToBe ·
    • Hide content

I think all women have this issue - how ladies managed before tights on a daily basis I will never know! I am taking one of my Bridesmaids with me - she is getting married herself in 2016 and is also having a boudoir shoot done. We share changing rooms when shopping for underwear so I have no qualms about her being there and frankly I needed the moral support! Maybe there is someone you could ask to come? If not I second the suggestion of asking the tog - I bet you won't be the first - or last! Good Luck Smiley smile

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice, glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble! I decided to try on my things again today and have left the suspenders attached to the stockings and then 'climbed' out of them. So hopefully this will make things a bit easier. I don't have anyone to go with I'm afraid, my only really close friend that I wouldn't mind helping me lives 3 hours away so I don't think that would work. Feeling really nervous now but excited at the same time!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Just thought I would come back and say thanks again for the advice, I had my shoot this morning and quite impressed with myself for not getting tangled up and strangled by my suspenders too much! Also my nail varnish is chip free!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

That's nice that you didn't have to ask. Where did you go for yours and what did you think?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics