Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2015

Advice on garden/backyard reception, please!

joobs85, 31 of July of 2014 at 17:28 Posted on Planning 1 11

Hi all, new member here.

Me and my boyfriend are in the very early stages of planning a low key, low budget wedding for next year (May or September). Neither of us are particularly fancy people and my boyfriend isn't keen on being the centre of attention, plus we are renovating our home so don't have a great deal of spare cash!

We've agreed that we would both like a religious ceremony, in the local church, probably around 1 or 3pm.

My boyfriend's mother is severely agoraphobic. She hasn't left her house in over a decade, although she feels comfortable in the garden which is large. My family and most of my friends live around 40 miles away, so not far and there is plenty of options for overnight stays either in hotels or in our home/friend/relative homes.

I really, really want my boyfriend's mother to be part of the day. She's missed out on weddings, funerals and a whole host of other events because of her condition; I suffer from mental health issues and I understand how she feels; the last thing I want to do is make her feel worse - this would be her eldest son's wedding day and none of her children so far are married, so it's fairly big.

As we don't want a big do, nor want to spend a lot of money, the idea of having our reception in the back garden of his parents house sounds like a really appealing idea. There won't be tonnes of people there, I know my boyfriend's mum would be able to take part in the day rather than having to miss out and it would save us the money of hiring a reception venue.

I've searched all over for another real life wedding like this; there are quite a few American weddings featured on Pinterest etc but most of them take part in big, sprawling fields! The garden is large but it's not limitless! How have you done it, if you have? Have you been to one and if so, did it work well? What do you need to take into consideration?

Their house is a pretty average sized 3 bed, so it's not massive but there is plenty of sitting room for those who may get cold or not keen on the disco my best friend's Dad has already agreed to do (he has a business and is amazing). We were planning on hiring a marquee or big gazebo, owing to the fact we can't tell what the weather will be like. I went to a 50th wedding anniversary in a big gazebo/marquee in a garden and it worked really well, which is where I got the idea from.

What would be the best option for catering? Another one of my close friends has a small role in a catering business alongside her day job, but as I want her to be one of my two bridesmaids I don't want her to be distracted or stressed. We are fortunate in that we have quite a few available options to us in terms of photography, florists etc. Also, what about alcohol/drinks? I was thinking a good, well stocked buffet would be a nice idea - rather than a formal sit down meal - people can mingle, dance, drink, chat etc. We wouldn't have anything like a toastmaster and I doubt the speeches would be very long, if they happened at all! It's basically going to be like a summer party, except it would be a wedding reception!

Any advice, or pointers to advice elsewhere would be hugely appreciated - I have so many ideas circulating around my head but it's all very chaotic; I don't want to plan anything properly until I know if a garden reception is feasible! Thanks for reading, and sorry for length!

xox

11 replies

Latest activity by joobs85, 4 of August of 2014 at 16:18
  • alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

This sounds like a great idea :-)

i have a friend who got married abroad but had a reception in her parents garden when she got home, they hired a marquee and had outdoor games it all looked beautiful.

You can hire marquees with kitchens or outside caterers could use the ones in the house there will be loads of options for food. Vans that do festivals are often able to come to weddings or you could do a hog roast/BBQ.

If your friend is a caterer she could always prep all the food beforehand and have others to heat and serve. My OH is a chef and he will be preparing all the food for our wedding breakfast and has got chefs coming on the day to heat and serve ect. Xx

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think it's a lovely idea as long as your mil doesn't get spooked by people she doesn't know. Make sure she gets a list of who's going. I personally would go for a BBQ and ask someone to look after it so you can mingle. When have done loads of parties in the garden as long as you have got cover and seats you will have happy guests.

congratulations and welcomed to hitched.

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    Beth12nn ·
    • Hide content

Hi, also a new member (with only 2 weeks to go!)

We're having the party in my MILs back garden, they live in the country so it is large. We're hiring a marquee, which is probably costing half our budget, but you can definitely go for simpler marquees. We've had to hire portaloos as my MIL didn't want people coming into the house, we're also doing the bar ourselves. It's the little things like bins, how to serve the drinks and of all things ice that we're now worrying about!

We're having a hog roast from caterers which isn't too expensive, instead of a formal sit down meal. We've decided to have a help yourselves bar, with just wine and beer and soft drinks.

I would highly recommend it, as we are able to have the marquee exactly how we would like it, and it also makes it easier for our families.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I photographed a wedding a couple of years ago for a couple who were on a tight budget. They hired a country cottage near York for a week and did what you're thinking of. If you'd like to see the photos just send me a message via my website. It worked out great for them. One reason they chose it was because they wanted their dog to be present! They got married at a local church then went to the cottage.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    joobs85 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your replies - I really appreciate it! Some wonderful suggestion here ?

My MIL had joked about having it in her garden months ago; I did wonder whether she would feel happy with large numbers of people (well, larger than normal) in the home, but she says being in the house isn't the problem - it's her leaving it but I would definitely give her the guest list. Most of the people she either knows well from my OH's childhood (his friends have known each other for 20+ years), their relatives and on my side, my MIL hears about them all the time.

I did wonder about portaloos - even if it was just one in the garden. Although the garden is attached to the house and there are two bathrooms, I agree that large numbers in one house could end up being a bit chaotic and wouldn't want to make my MIL anymore anxious.

I was thinking a BBQ would be a good idea - me and my friend suggested doing as much of the food as we could together, the night before (we've hosted several parties before) and my auntie is also a very good party host under pressure! I just want people to enjoy themselves too; I wouldn't want people I'd invited to the wedding/reception to worry about food, drink etc!

I love the idea of doing it for so many reasons - making sure my MIL is there, it being cheaper than hiring a venue, putting a very personal stamp on it and it basically being quite laid back!

I don't know how to tag you posters individually (sorry, I'm inept at forums) but thank you also to the photographer poster - I will check out your website now. How did you feel about filming a wedding in a personal environment? One of the things we would be happy to spend a decent part of the budget on is photography Smiley smile

xox

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and welcome!

We've attended several garden weddings and they are always lovely. It sounds like a great compromise to get your MIL involved, provided it won't be too much if she isn't used to crowds.

My especial favourites are the ones without a disco where everyone just chills out and people drift away into the evening until the just the family/hardcore friends remain around a campfire or fire pit.

Pointers: bearing in mind I haven't done this, only attended a few:

1) Toilets: if you have enough people to make a disco worthwhile then you have enough to necessitate additional toilets. Plan to book a unit at the same time as the marquee.

2) Noise: your MIL's neighbours are within their rights to call the police after 11pm if the disco is still blaring.

3) caterers: need not a be a limiting factor at all if you are going for a barbecue, van or cold buffet selection but if you want hot food your MIL's kitchen may not be up to it: you may need to hire a catering kitchen too.

4) parking: if your MIL's street is narrow than having 50 cars outside may be a problem. Consider transport/parking at the same time as other logistics.

5) price: remember a marquee is never ever a cheap option.

6) entertainment: keep the garden party vibe going during the day with a jazz trio or something else light.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Sorry no advice here but your post made me cry! I think it's a lovely idea, my MIL also has agoraphobia and at the moment we're unsure if she will go to the wedding (if she does go it will be on a lot of valium so I'm not sure she'll remember much of it). Good luck with the planning x

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

My friend had her reception in the parents-in-law's garden. Echoing what others have said: - Marquees are expensive, often more than a venue! But possibly cheaper options can be found. - You will need to organise a lot of stuff, tables, chairs, portaloos etc - You can't sell alcohol without a license but you won't have to pay corkage either so can get it cheaper than if you were at a venue. You could also consider asking guests to bring a bottle depending on the 'vibe' I think it's a lovely idea and as long as you are happy to do the organising it sounds great!

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    thewanderingwebster ·
    • Hide content

We are having our reception in our garden. There are only 30 of us and it's not a massive garden. Food wise, everyone will have eaten at the local pub before so it's just the evening buffet we're organising. We're looking at platters of sandwiches, quiches etc. You don't want to be cooking on your wedding day. Drinks wise we have told people not to bother with wedding gifts but to bring a bottle. although we'll be buying in drinks it does alleviate the pressure a bit. For fun we have hired a bouncy castle.

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    thewanderingwebster ·
    • Hide content

You might be able to borrow a small marquee or even get one off ebay quite cheap.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    joobs85 ·
    • Hide content

Again, thank you all for the recommendations and advice - had such a busy weekend so apologies for delay in thanking you all.

Parking should be OK - our house is a five minute walk from MIL, and FIL works at the school; he's mentioned that providing he knows how many would be coming then they would be happy with people parking outside the grounds. We live in a town with a lot of free, on and off street parking which is all only a few minutes walk away.

Noise is a good thing to consider - PIL live in a residential area with a lot of families and older people so will make sure those bases are covered.

I think we will get caterers in, but going to discuss it with friend on Wednesday. I think also having a meal down the pub which is nearby the church may be a good idea for just the small number who would be at the wedding - and then invite more to the "reception" at PIL. To be honest, not many of our family drink and it would just be our friends, half of which are teetotal and half who like a good booze up!

Bliss_Balloons, I hope your MIL does make it. It's a very difficult situation I know.

Thanks again xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics