Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

advice on palladium wedding ring

tinkerbelly1983, 28 August, 2011 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 8

We bought our wedding rings in april & oh's was a bit big. didnt bother to change it due to restocking fee with the ebay seller & it was cheaper to get it resized. so we took it in to a local jewellers this weekend and they said you would see a join in the metal...is this true? its obviously too late to exchange the ring with the seller but although it wasnt an expensive ring we could do without buying another. not sure what to do... if anyone has had a palladium ring resized can you give me advise if its actually that noticable?

8 replies

Latest activity by tinkerbelly1983, 1 September, 2011 at 18:51
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

When we got my H Palladium wedding ring our jeweller told us that the metal was so strong they were vertually impossible to resize - so, if you've found someone who can/will do it, then I'd be tempted to just go with it anyway!

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring is platinum (v close family to palladium) and when I had that re-sized I was warned there might be a small line where the ring was re-stuck together. (Not the exact wording of the jeweller, but it's kind of like they weld it and the line is the welding material.) As it happens I can't see one at all, so is all good, but I would imagine it's a fairly standard warning?

I hadn't heard anything about palladium being difficult to resize though - titanium yes, but not palladium. The OH inititally wanted titanium for the hardwearingness, but was advised against as it cannot be resized, and if you get it stuck on the finger it can't be cut off and you have to cut off the finger instead!

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Blimey thats not good! ive sent a cheeky email to the seller asking if we can exchange it, worth asking i guess! the worst is they say no. other than that we might pawn it & rebuy. i dont like the idea of the ring being weakened

• gigglebert
    Beginner July 2012
    gigglebert ·
    • Hide content

Palladium is indeed difficult to resize, infact, its very difficult to work with in the first place, it's why it has only recently become more popular for jewellery making- you should be able to have it resized though and I'd imagine that the warning is a catch all to cover the jeweller incase something goes wrong rather than them actually expecting it to look bad!

• X
    Beginner December 2011
    xmasbride11 ·
    • Hide content

Working in retail management (a jewellers) for 4 years I can say we've resized zillions of palladium rings with no problem at all. You won't see the join.

• N
    Beginner August 2013
    nickya ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same, retail jewellery management, and I have never had a problem with it, I have never even heard of a problem with it to be honest. Titanium, yes, that is a huge problem and can't be done, you should be fine with palladium.

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My ER is platinum and I've had it resized due to a little weight loss. I can't see any lines on it (the jewellers polished out the engraving of the prestigious jewellers name on the inside though Grrrrr!)

Palladium is harder than platinum. I thought we'd been told it was really difficult to resize but having read the other posts, maybe that was titanium!!

If they'll resize it I'd give that a go before you decide to go and buy another one. Is it going to be expensive? If not, you might as well see how it turns out first.

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice everyone, i think we might go for it then, as you say its probably just to cover the jewellers incase anything goes wrong. its only gonna cost £25 and the ring was not that much

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Update: the seller we originally bought the ring from will exchange it for us! was worth a cheeky ask!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics