Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Em1982
Beginner

advice on stacking m&s wedding cakes

Em1982, 4 July, 2011 at 20:52 Posted on Planning 0 3

I am thinking of getting m&s wedding cakes, either 2 or 3 tiers and like it when they are directly on top of each other. can i just put them on top of each other? presumably i remove the board they sit on then stick it on? does anyone know if its quite gappy between the layers?

also ive heard asda and tesco do cakes??

3 replies

Latest activity by summer_bee, 4 July, 2011 at 22:54
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Depends on whether you have sponge or fruit - fruit is much more dense and can take the weight whereas sponge would need dowels pushed into it to help support.

We put ours onto a cake stand, which also helped give it some height as they are only a couple of inches deep.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I got married yesterrday and had an M&S 4 tier cake.

It tasted lush!

You are supposed to stack them with rods but we had none as they had sold out so just stacked them on top of each other (bottom fruit, vanilla sponge & then 2 choc tiers).

The biggest tier was on a cake board and then the other 3 tiers were on a thin plastic sheet. My caterer stacked mine though as i was behind schedule.

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you seen the videos on the M&S website. They show you how they recommend you stack the tiered cake and a contemporary cake.

Here's the link in case you haven't seen them:- http://www.marksandspencer.tv/pop-player.aspx?bctid=62116396001

• summer_bee
    Beginner July 2011
    summer_bee ·
    • Hide content

I don't think they are meant to be put on top of each other without the board as the bottom layer may not be strong enough to hold the weight. that is why the normal 3 tier cakes are more expensive as compared to those that use the dowel sticks. but well, Snuggle bum did it and it works for her, but i still feel it's a risk.

I'm having waitrose, stacking with dowel sticks with flowers between the tiers

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics