Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2014

Advice on wedding dress stress - alterations

RayRayD, 19 of May of 2014 at 15:15 Posted on Planning 0

Hi all,

I bought my dream dress from the Pronovias Sample Sale last summer.

I knew I would have to get it altered as it is way too long, and I budgeted around £300 for the shortening of the hem and adding a bustle so I can dance in it in the evening without tripping over.

I decided to wait until 3 months before the wedding, in case I lost any more weight and had to have the dress taken in as well (wishful thinking, on my part).

Pronovias recommended a company in Battersea, south London, to do the alterations for me. When I rang, they couldn't fit me in for a consultation until three weeks later.

I went for a consultation on Saturday and was quoted over £900 to shorten the hem of each layer (there are 7 altogether, including two detailed lace ones).

I understand that the lace is very intricate and would take a lot of work to hem - but I fail to see how it could cost as much as I paid for the dress in the first place.

Can anyone recommend a seamstress in the London area who can work with lace who might be more reasonably priced?

I am starting to panic slightly, as I have just 9 weeks before my wedding.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions - has anyone else had a similar problem when buying a sample dress?

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Maybe ask a local bridal shop who they use?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics