Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bullseye
Beginner June 2015

Advice please - wedding dress problem *update page 2*

Bullseye, 13 of February of 2014 at 20:04 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi all,

I am new to Hitched and this is my first post so bear with me! I am looking for some advice regarding my wedding dress.

I have fallen in love with Maggie Sottero's Bronwyn. I have bought the dress second hand from a lady in America after trying it on twice in dress shops here. The lady I have bought it from has very similar measurements to me and is exactly the same height. I deliberated for ages over whether to go ahead and buy it given the fact I would not be able to try it on. I discussed the measurements with the lady and felt confident it would fit. I am on a very tight budget so buying the dress second hand is the only real option for me.

The dress arrived tonight and I have tried it on to find it is about 2 inches too short at the front. i.e it is meant to be floor length but it shows my feet!

The lady has had the dress professionally cleaned since her wedding and I have contacted her to explain that it is too short. She has suggested I get it 'professionally pressed' as this should relax the lace. Have anyone ever heard of this?

I will try to post a photo of the dress but basically it is a silk slip with separate lace overlay.

Someone has suggested taking it to a seamstress but I am not sure they would be able to do anything because of the nature of the lace.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the model picture:

And a photo showing the length on me :-(

21 replies

Latest activity by cw2b, 16 of February of 2014 at 17:23
  • C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

This may not help but how did you find the dress? If it was through ebay they do a money back guarantee if the item doesn't match the sellers description of the product. A quick google search into 'professionally pressed' seems to be a method to help remove creases from clothes/wedding dresses, so not sure if that would help. Sorry I can't be of any help. Hope you get it sorted, looks a lovely dress.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I have heard this before - lace had a tendency to shrink up when washed . You could try steaming it . Just hang it up in the bathroom when you have a shower . Sounds crazy .

But if not I would see if you can get your money back if it doesn't fit the spec x

• Bullseye
    Beginner June 2015
    Bullseye ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for replying. I actually bought it privately through paypal after finding it advertised on the American version of preloved. I have mentioned the possibility of returning it and being refunded but she has instead suggested getting it pressed. She is certain it should fit me after this as she is the same height as me. I will trying steaming it and keep my fingers crossed :-)

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I've heard of this too with lace and if you have a look at your picture it does look like the patterns on the lace are closer together (like it's shrunk up a bit) but I don't know whether it can be reversed. Take it to a good seamstress and get them to advise you. They may also be able to do something about adding length to it. I have a very similar dress and them hem comes off separately so they might be able to add something. I'd be cautious about keeping it though if you can return as it might not be possible to fix.

• LoveHimMegaMuch
    Beginner August 2014
    LoveHimMegaMuch ·
    • Hide content

Hi, congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Hitched!

This may not help but were the measurements provided for her height with heels on? I've not heard of lace shrinking/relaxing with steam as I've not been in this situation. But best of luck with the dress....it's beautiful xx

• M
    mam of the bride ·
    • Hide content

The dress is beautiful. I don't think steaming the dress will make any difference (I work in my daughters wedding shop and I have steamed lots of dresses) I think a good seamstress will be able to help you, so don't give up on your lovely dress. Good luck and please keep us informed x

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

If the steaming doesn't work, I think a pair of peep toes would look beautiful underneath it.

• Bullseye
    Beginner June 2015
    Bullseye ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I hadn't noticed that about the pattern on the lace so thank you for pointing that out.

I think my plan of action is to try steaming it as suggested above and I will also find a seamstress and get a professional opinion on it. I have just tried it on again and it does feel like the lace has some stretch to it if you know what I mean....it's hard to explain but I do feel like it has shrunk somehow. I will keep you updated :-)

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Keep us updated xx

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

If it helps, I can ask at work about shrinkage for you - I work with a bunch of fashion designers and fashion production managers

x

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

If it helps, I can ask at work about shrinkage for you - I work with a bunch of fashion designers and fashion production managers

x

• Bullseye
    Beginner June 2015
    Bullseye ·
    • Hide content

Hi alabastamasta, that would be fab if you could? Thanks!

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

The dress is gorgeous, no wonder you fell in love with it!
    I would go to a professional seamstress before you try to do anything unless this lady will give you a refund. I bought my wedding dress from pre-loved and the overlay had sagged by a few good inches, from being kept on a hanger for a year or so. She is now getting it taken up for me but if you find a good seamstress I'm sure she'll be able to advise how best to sort this.

If you are in the London area, I can give you the details of my seamstress, she is lovely and very experienced.

Keep us posted on how you get on

xx

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem! OK, the word from the garment techs is that you should steam it, and at the same time gently pull it - make sure you don't do this too hard in case you rip the lace!
    But that should bring it back down to a better length

Good luck!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I had a dress with a scalloped lace edging on the overlay. If it's any help for you, I deliberately had mine taken up to the top of my feet. The seamstress recommended it, so I wouldn't tread on it and rip such a fragile part. It looked fine with my feet peeping out. The back was very long though - not sure I'd have had it that short all the way around.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks OK at that length if you have a nice air of shoes underneath but a seamstress should be able to help

• Bullseye
    Beginner June 2015
    Bullseye ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this, I'm going to give it a go tonight with one of my bridesmaids! X

• Bullseye
    Beginner June 2015
    Bullseye ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi, what you've described sounds very similar to mine, it has a longish train but is shorter at the front. It's reassuring to know it looked good with your shoes showing :-)

I think it was just a surprise to find it short when I had obviously tried on samples which were longer. It definitely looks too short at the moment though, as it is just reaches my ankles.

Is your avatar a picture of your dress? If so, it is absolutely stunning...so unique!

• Bullseye
    Beginner June 2015
    Bullseye ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd update you. I took alabastamasta's advice and steamed the dress in the bathroom whilst gently pulling the lace and....it worked!!! I'd say I got extra inch out of it which is great. I am so relieved!

I tried it on last night with my friend with and without shoes. I think it looks much better without shoes so I may have to wear flats on the day which would be okay I think. I'm also hoping losing a few pounds will help! Would appreciate some honest opinions.

Here is a picture of me in it without shoes:

And with shoes:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I will stick around and get involved in the discussions as I have been lurking a while!

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

I think with flats - you could get some lovely lace overlay ones to echo the dress. Glad the steaming worked!

• NYCBride
    Beginner September 2014
    NYCBride ·
    • Hide content

I think the one without shoes looks prerfect. The best thing is that this means your feet won't get sore from being in heels all day x

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

Looks lovely glad the steaming worked. Would say with flats too

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics