Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

March14bride
Beginner March 2014

Advice re damaged engagement ring.

March14bride, 30 of September of 2013 at 17:24 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2

Pleas could anyone give me some advice?

I had my engagement ring for 3 months when I noticed 2 stones missing from the shoulder. They are tiny pave set diamonds. I took the ring straight back to the store who said it would have to be sent off to be assessed and this could take up to 3 weeks. Over 4 weeks later they finally called today to say the manufacturer has assessed it as being customer damage and that I have to pay the £89 repair charge.

I am furious! I had only had the ring 3 months and thought I had been careful with it, if it was customer damage I think it would probably happen again as I thought I had been careful. I have asked them not to repair it until I decide what to do.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

The ring is insured and I have emailed the insurance company but I am not happy with the jewellers at all, they have said if I do get it repaired it will be another 4 weeks until I get it back. The ring was downsized by 1 size, I have since been told that pave set rings should not be downsized, I don't know if this is true or not.

I would be grateful of any advice, does it sound like I should just pay for the repair?

2 replies

Latest activity by March14bride, 30 of September of 2013 at 19:35
  • Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

I would go back asking them for more information as to how this was determined that it was your fault as opposed to shoddy workmanship and you want it in writing. Depending on what they say I would then go down the lines of insisting that you have treated it very carefully and suggest the ring is not fit for purpose. Just do not accept what thy say and keep escalating it.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Having done a bit of googling I found lots of posts re pave rings and how high maintenance they are with people replacing lost stones every few months. So much so it has made them swap the ring for a different setting. Maybe worth considering if you don't get anywhere as it seems to be a known issue?

• March14bride
    Beginner March 2014
    March14bride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replying. I'm going to ring my insurance tomorrow and see if they will cover the cost of the repair or if I should get a second opinion. I did a bit googling and have found the same about pave rings, bit worrying as my wedding band is also a pave set diamond ring.

I am annoyed as I know I was careful with the ring and so don't agree with having to pay for the repair. They said the ring needs to be recast, does that mean remade? The shop assistant who rang me didn't know. Hate the thought of not having my ring for 2 months!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics