Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2b_MrsB
Beginner June 2013

Advice re- hair / accessories

2b_MrsB, 25 January, 2013 at 10:50 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi Everyone,

I have touched on this before a while ago but....

I'm not and nor have I ever been the kind of person that ever really does anything different with their hair , Day to day for work and kids its constantly tied back out the way and If going out I usually just opt to straighten it and wear it down in the end so I'm the first to admit when it comes to hair and accessories I totally lack imagination.

A few people have said that I should be looking to do something different with my hair and while one part of me knows they are right, another just couldn't give a toss as I know because my hair is very fine then it just wont look the same an hour after its done anyway and I know this attitude probably isn't helping when it comes to finding something for my hair.

Think I will most likely go for a half up/ half down style but I'm struggling to find any hair accessories that I like. Think I need something with a bit of sparkle to work with my dress but I don't appear to suit any sort of tiara (must have weird shaped head or something) Alice band style accessories make me look and feel like I am about 12 so this leaves me with combs or clips but most of these seem to have floral design to them which I'm not very keen on or they aren't symmetrical which I can be a little OCD about and as for hair vines ! I've no idea how these work so can't envisage them in my hair.

Having re-read this I know I'm probably being too picky but I had hoped something would just jump out at me as being just the right thing.

Sorry to have turned this post into depressing rant but its really starting to hack me off, so please please PLEASE inspire me !!!!

All help and advice gratefully received.

L x

27 replies

Latest activity by babyw, 26 January, 2013 at 18:33
  • <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

I have found an amazing place to get tiaras. She was at a wedding fair that I went to recently and found a tiara that I LOVE. She's currently not got a lot on her website but if you email her she makes things just how you want them. ?

http://www.jobarclayloggie.co.uk/

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the reply and link but the problem is I'm not even really sure what it is I'm looking for hence the need for inspiration ☹️

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Hey

Although I did have a tiara I just thought I'd show you my hair, as it's half up/half down and may inspire you! I also had a comb (but it had a flower on it AND wasn't symmetrical - I was a bit anal about this but decided to wear it anyway and you'd never notice...)

But anyway, just thought I'd flash my hairstyle and what you can do with a comb, even if it isn't exactly what you want... Mine was at the back of my quiff and sat above my veil so it could still be seen and it did add that little bit extra to my hair style. Also, although I have got thick hair that holds curl well, you can still have this sort of style with thin hair! I'm a hairdresser and have also done a course in wedding hair and makeup, and it is possible. Heated rollers work wonders for making your hair appear thicker and bouncier and using a wand instead of curling tongs will hold curl alot better in your hair. Book in some trials and a good hairdresser will experiment with you until you find a style you are happy with, and me even have some hair accessories they can lend out to you for the day.

These are the only pics from the actual day you can really see the back & side...

And these are some from my trial the week before...

Sorry for the massive flash overload... let me know if you have any hair related questions!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the flashes ladies , this is a great help to try and imagine how a comb would look.

Natalieexx - Any advice on a hair product that would give my hair the appearance of being thicker ( if you know what i mean ) ? ...My hair is very fine but there is lots of it.

Although we are getting married out of area so she wont be doing it on the day I think I need to book an appt with my own hair dresser to get some ideas.

L x

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Janey4 ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain -I dont know what to do with my hair either, apart from I want it down and I dont want a tiara!

The flashes have helped me tho too, so thank you!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Yes definitely, I'm sure she'd love to have a play with your hair to help you. Honestly try some heated rollers, they are amazing, ask your hairdresser to try them on you when you go for a trial and you'll see the difference, especially if you have a lot of fine hair, it'll work wonders on you. There are some root lift powders that can be used but I'd only recommend the proffesional brands and they are hard to use on yourself, it even took me a few attempts to master how to use it, see if your hairdresser has any of these too which she can try on you.

The best thing to do day to day would be dry your hair using a large, round brush, and pull it up away from your head when you dry it, to add body to your hair - hair looks thin when it lacks body, so this is a good trick.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Natalieexx

* adds large, round brush to today's shopping list *

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Lol get a bristly one if you can! Also check out Babyliss Big Hair hot air styler - these are good if you have the time to do it, takes a bit longer than a normal blow dry.

No problem ?

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Hi. It would be helpful to see your dress but I can show you some comb ideas below - all can be found on

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I am never sure that it is a good idea to go too far away from how you normally wear your hair. I have a few combs here if you want to have a look https://www.3djewellery.co.uk/hair-combs-for-weddings-and-prom.html

• T
    thebestman ·
    • Hide content

Love the comb idea... and natalieexx u r like the miracle worker with hair.....

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

I agree that it's not necessarily a great idea to go really different with your hair for your wedding. Of course you want it to look good but you need to feel like you so if you wouldn't wear an updo any other time, you don't need to start now.

I have some combs on my site, feel free to have a look. You're welcome to get in touch if you'd like to talk ideas/ have me come up with some for you x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha thanks I'm very passionate about hair! I just love doing it.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Evening Ladies,

Thank you all for your replies and much need encouragement ?

I agree that I'd feel far more comfortable on the day if my Hair isn't too different from how I would wear it on other occasions, so at the moment a style similar to what both Nataliee and Lanny have pictured is what I am planning on.

Hitchers - thanks for the ideas I like the symmetricalness ( new word ?) of some of the combs .

Here is my dress and detail to see if any of you have any further suggestions

Side Embellishment on thigh

Sorry for MASSIVE pics !!

L x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is stunning! Keeping your hair accessories minimal will look great with that. When do you get married? Xx

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Natalieexx

I had first dress fitting earlier in the week and it felt amazing to have my dress on again Smiley smile

I just found this hair style , which I think looks great although I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go for it but can see it working better on me without the curls so far on top of my head, also not sure if I'll have the patience to sit still on the day to have it done.

Roughly how long would it take to do ? and how long would my hair need to be to have this sort of style ?

I don't get married until the 22nd of June so still some growing time left too

Sorry but you seem to have become my online hair advisor ?

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha no worries!

ive done a style like that before it was an assessment we had to pass on the course. I'd say about 30-40 mins prepping and I'd use heated rollers to prep (you may find that lost hairstyles will use heated rollers to prep as it gives a great base to start on!) then for me about another 45 mins to an hour to do the style, it's more simple than it looks. Depends on your stylist though, if they do wedding hair day in day out they may be quicker and do it in 45 mins tops.

Hair should be at least shoulder length for this, maybe bit longer. That would give enough length to get a few barrels curls in there!

I've just thought if you had something like this, instead of a hair comb you could have diamantes on pins stuck in between the rolls to add the bling factor, that'd look gorgeous. Ill look for a pic to show what I mean x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Can't find any pics of them in the hair like I want to. But basically they look like this

And when they're in the hair you obviously don't see the pins, you just see the diamantes, having a few scattered throughout the style would look lovely!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I can see how the pins would work scattered through this style, I'm definitely going to speak to my hair dresser about this style but adapting it slightly to soften the front so its not pulled back of my face so harshly ( hoping you know what I mean lol )

Thanks again for your help Nataliee I'm feeling much more positive about this now , ........ what a difference a day makes ! ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

If you look closely the picture of the hairstyle you have put on has diamanté pins in it. You could also use small flowers. I also do diamanté dish pins, pearl pins and twist in crystals

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Glad I've helped! Haven't been over here on wedding planning for ages but obviously ventured back on the right day! I normally still to OT lol

3d jewellery I know I noticed that just after I posted! Lol

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

3d jewellery - Can see them now you've pointed it out....Now pearl and twist pins I know about but .......dish pins ???????? ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Damn predictive text on the iPad, should say daisy

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And there was me on google images too ?

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

Would be happy to help create something for you. Feel free to have a look on my website or on facebook where you can see other brides wearing my designs xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics