Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S108HAN
Beginner August 2013

Advice re: Hen weekend in the ROI

S108HAN, 12 of January of 2015 at 18:55 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hello all

I am here this time in my capacity as bridesmaid to my sister. I am one of four bridesmaids, the others for being her friends from school. We are going on a hen weekend to Cork and the bridesmaids are in charge of organising activities, costumes and other hen-night-related purchases. I am in disagreement with the other bridesmaids because they would like to dress my sister up in a giant inflatable penis costume. My objections to this are twofold

1. I don't think my sister will wear it

2. My understanding is that Ireland is still a very Roman Catholic and conservative country and that this will be very offensive and may even get us arrested. At the very least I think if she goes out wearing it we will be refused entry to any bar that we try to get in to.

My sister said to me that my most important job as bridesmaid was reining in my mother during wedding planning and reining in the other bridesmaids during hen night planning. She was worried enough when she thought they might try to book her a dwarf leprechaun stripper. Therefore I feel I can absolutely cannot allow her to be dressed as a giant penis. So now I have two questions for my lovely hitchers:

1) Are my suspicions about the attitudes that we would experience in the Republic of Ireland correct? Has anyone any experience of living and/or partying there outside of Dublin?

2) How would you try to prevent three headstrong bridesmaids determined to do this from getting their way?

Thanks all

2 replies

Latest activity by Karen84, 13 of January of 2015 at 13:33
  • C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Hi, only the most rural areas of Ireland are still really conservative. Cork is a pretty big party place. That said, bars no matter where they are have standards! This isn't about Ireland being catholic and conservative but about what kind of venues do you hope to get into? Only the tacky, teenage, and low end type bars are going to welcome someone in that kind of outfit.

You need to put your foot down with the other bridesmaids. Tell them you want all of you but especially your sister to have a good time but you are not prepared for them to humiliate her and you are not going to agree to something that will mean you'll spend half your time being turned away from bars. Tell them to get a bit of class.

Beginner March 2015
    *CrazyCatLady* ·
    • Hide content

I went to a hen weekend in Cork about 5 years ago now and it was fabulous. My friend was getting married in disneyland so the theme for us was that we all had to dress up like minnie mouse. Some were more - ahem - 'on show' than others, but we didn't have problems getting in anywhere. Although I know minnie mouse is very different from giant penis!

I think the real thing is - would your sister enjoy it? It sounds like perhaps not, so it's for this reason that I'd try and put a stop to it! If my sister tried to get me to do that for my hen party, I'd feel pretty humiliated to be honest!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Like you say in your post, part of the role your sister has given you as bridesmaid is to make sure her other bridesmaids don’t go too mad. So I think you have to be firm and put your foot down soon before they go too far with it.

It sounds like this wouldn’t be your sister’s cup of tea at all and if they’re good enough friends they wouldn’t want to try and push this on her for her hen do, or to humiliate her in any way. And just lie/exaggerate if you have to, and tell them that it would be deemed irreverent to dress up to that extreme in Ireland. They won’t be any the wiser until they’re there, by which time it’s too late.

At the very least you do risk being refused entry to certain bars/clubs and the last thing you want is for anything like that to happen and potentially ruin your sister’s do.

Personally, I’m not overly prudish but I would be extremely upset if my closest friends tried to do this to me.

Keep us posted with how you get on and what theme you eventually agree on. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics