Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2014

Affordable catering in Sussex

BIC, 29 of September of 2013 at 10:42 Posted on Planning 0 2

We've hit a bit of a wall and could do with some help!

My partner and I are getting married next September, at a lovely barn venue in Sussex. We have a limited budget for the wedding, so have been trying to think creatively abouthow to best use what we have available.

Our maximum budget for caterers, which would be all inclusive of: starter, buffet/bbq style main,(we're catering the desert ourselves), staff, crockery, cutlery etc, bar and VAT is £4,000. To us, that seems like a lot of money, but are we being un-realistic? This would be all for 110 guests.
Most of the caterers that we've been in contact with are asking for £5,000 upwards.

Can anyone recommend a good wedding caterer in or around the Sussex area, who might be able to fit more within our budget? Maybe someone that you have used and have had a good experience with.

Thanks a lot! :-)

2 replies

Latest activity by Chris Giles Photography, 30 of September of 2013 at 12:14
  • H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I don't live in Sussex so can't help with recommendations but we are doing something similar with our wedding and have managed to get our catering budget to £2000.

We also have 110 guests and need crockery, etc and would like a buffet, so very similar to your situation. We rang round lots of caterers, particularly ones who state about "working to your budget". The first thing we said is that we didn't want to go over "x amount" and that we were willing to be quite informal with things. We haven't had trouble finding caterers - it has been tricky but the best thing to do is to avoid "posh" looking caterers. Look for the kinds of events/weddings that they've covered before, this will give you an idea whether they could work to your budget. One of the first ones we contacted gave us a quote for £6000! They were giving us things that we didn't need or want, so make sure you are very clear about what you are asking for. I would also try looking at caterers who do parties or smaller events, as they had lower prices but don't do weddings all the time, so they are a little cheaper. The caterer we are probably booking is more of a small events and parties one but has done a few weddings.

Initially we wanted canapés or a starter but have scrapped them as our timings didn't need guests to be fed so we didn't bother. Instead we're just having "nibbles" - I guess crisps/nuts, etc and then going straight into the buffet. Lots of ways round it!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Gastro catering?

We had a quote of around £1100 for a BBQ for 80 (inc VAT)

There were loads of other options like adding a dessert course for another £300ish, unlimited drinks packages and so on. They were also quite flexible and you could remove things that you didn't need /want.

We'd have booked with them, but changed our venue to somewhere not in Sussex.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

We're using Sophie Martin Catering.

£20 per head for dinner

£10-20 for the evening BBQ

Canapes £1 each

65 guests = approximately £2500-£3000

Bar we're hiring in at £150 and they make their fee on the night.

It's when you realize you have to get tables, cloths, cutlery etc that the price goes up but then as we all know weddings aren't cheap. But paying roughly £40 per person to feed them twice is no more expensive than going to the pub.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics