Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner May 2018

Affordable Kent venues

poppymarble, 30 of January of 2016 at 17:05 Posted on Planning 1 9

So we're getting married! But we want to have maximum control over the day and so aren't looking for a traditional hotel or marquee sort of place. Ideally we are looking for a barn style village hall or other characterful building that we can put our stamp on. We have been looking at venues all over Kent and into East Sussex but are finding it hard to justify some of the prices. I mean Ratsbury Barn want £1900 for the honour of chucking you out at 9pm (not that we want the evening disco anyway but still!!)!

We like the look of Chilham Village Hall, but the lack of pretty outside space has made us a bit hesitant, again for £1900 just for dry hire (though that's with the ability to hold the wedding there), (and a quarter of our budget) we want to be sure we've seen everything possible! We could do the ceremony and reception in different places, but feel a bit weird about having the ceremony in potentially a nice castle and then taking everyone to a dinky hall for the reception....

Places we are thinking about/going to look at:

• Lower Hardres Village Hall, outside Canterbury (reception only)
  • Alexander Centre, Faversham (ceremony, maybe reception also)
  • Brogdale Collections, Faversham (reception only)
  • Chafford Park (ceremony and reception)
  • Tonbridge Castle (ceremony only)
  • Upnor Castle (ceremony only)

We would consider a restaurant reception but as it's going to be a vegan wedding, and there is only one vegan cafe in Kent it's not the most practical option!

Does anyone have any suggestions??!

9 replies

Latest activity by SunnyOrangeStationery494, 4 of April of 2016 at 21:57
  • S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Finding information out about village halls is not always the easiest many don't have websites what we did when hunting was looking at villages sometimes even on google maps and working out if there was a village hall then finding out contact details.

Another option could be a farm shop/farm cafe as they may have a barn on site which is suitable - this is what we did and it worked out perfectly was under 1K to hire for 4 days and was the perfect venue - they had never held a wedding in the barn before so needed some convincing but it looked amazing and they allowed us the flexibility we wanted.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

You could try sports halls or School or Scout halls? i remember looking a local cricket clubs and there were some great value options! I once worked at an angling club for an event - Bowls clubs often have halls kitted out with a bar too. Good luck - keep us posted. Will be interested to see what you find!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

This may be too far into kent but thatched barn in Dover? We just had our uk party there and they are amazing! Can use your own caterers, they have a cash bar, lots of parking and a travel lodge nearby for guests and they remain open until midnight. I can't rate them enough! You can't legally marry there but they can hold ceremony's you just have to make it official before or after if you wanted everything in one place.

• Laura Ellen Photography
    Beginner May 2014
    Laura Ellen Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what the charges are like, but have a look at The House Meadow, Bloomsburys at Biddenden & Secret Garden at Merstham. Hallsforhire.com is pretty good for the village hall venues. Coco Wedding Venues also has some beautiful venues too. I had a wedding at Swallowtail Hill Farm once - it's pretty much as it sounds and you would need a marquee of some description, but it was so beautiful and they had the freedom. The actually had a hand-fasting under a big oak tree and did the legal bit before.

• Click Clack Photo
    Click Clack Photo ·
    • Hide content

Have you heard of the lost village of Dode? http://www.dodevillage.com Excellent venue and staff, and it'd bang on £1900 too! I shot a wedding there in 2014 and totally loved it! Check it out:

http://www.clickclackphoto.co.uk/nada-ian-in-the-lost-village-of-dode

It's worth taking a look at! Mark.

• P
    Beginner May 2018
    poppymarble ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I already looked at some of those suggested like the lost village at dode but for one reason or another weren't quite right despite being gorgeous! We are definitely still looking at the village halls and got some viewings in a couple of weeks for Tower House Canterbury, Brogdale Collections and Alexander Centre Faversham. Am waiting on info from the Hop Farm too. Wow, I love the look and ethos of Swallowtail Farm! I think Sussex might be the way to go now: found out about a place in East Grinstead (not too far a drive) called East Court that looks really reasonable but still quite pretty with loads of flexibility to do what you want. Will keep the thread posted!

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Tower House is a lovely building set in the Westgate Gardens so great for photos but not sure about random tourists etc getting in the way. It's only been running as a venue for a few months so not sure what they can offer. When im in canterbury i walk past it on my way into town and wecalsways wondered why they didnt use it for weddings instead if the nasty registry office buikding.

There's a place called the night yard (I think) that seems to be very much an open space. KCC have a wedding mag called a Kentish ceremony that lists all the licensed venues and did just find a TOG who seemed to have used a lot of the type if venue you were looking for. Can't find it now but Rebecca someone.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, you can also use the venue finder on KCC's website.

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered unlicensed venues such as Farthingloe barn near Folkestone/Dover or Corpus Christi in Maidstone

• S
    Beginner April 2017
    SunnyOrangeStationery494 ·
    • Hide content

I'm hiring the Night Yard near bridge, Kent for my reception. It's basically a large amount of open space and you can get married and have a reception there. They also have their own bar, indoor toilets and allow you to do pretty much what you want with the space.

They have also been really friendly around arranging things and allow you to set up from 9am the day before and are flexible on when you leave and when you need to clear up the next day.

http://www.thenightyard.com/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics