Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2018

Afternoon tea

Jade1990, 17 of November of 2015 at 20:11 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi all

Has anyone had/having/been to a wedding where afternoon tea was served as the wedding breakfast meal?

I want informal and relaxed but don't want our wedding to resemble a kids tea party lol

My theory behind it was that everyone likes sandwiches and cakes and everyone can help themselves to what they like rather than having something put in front of them that they aren't keen on. Our venue has quite a broad menu but I don't want to give everyone too many options as trying to keep track of each persons preferences could get stressful.

Does anyone have experience of afternoon tea at a wedding and some pics of how it worked?

Thanks

12 replies

Latest activity by Scottish_Sarah, 23 of November of 2015 at 12:50
  • rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

One of my clients had afternoon tea for their wedding and they said it worked really well & everyone loves it! I don't know many details but I think it's great idea! I love afternoon tea xx

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I photographed a tipi wedding reception last year where they had afternoon tea - all served on the little cake stands! It looked great.

If you send me an email via my website I can give you a password for the gallery.

• D
    Curious March 2017
    Daffodil2017 ·
    • Hide content

We're planning on this! But haven't spoken to the caterer yet, just the venue owner, who gave us lots of ideas. I can report back when I have more info?? Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

I considered it, we had one a while ago and it was supprisingly filling ? we couldnt eat it all unforuantly because we would of burst but it didnt look like that much to begin with

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

We had an afternoon tea a month ago :-)

If you have a fab caterer it works amazingly well.

We had simple brown and white sandwiches and mini quiches served at 4pm

Sandwiches were ham, cheese and tomato, tuna mayonnaise, egg mayonnaise and salmon and cream cheese. Out Veggie bridesmaid was happy enough with this too. We served platters at the tables rather than have a buffet

20 minutes later this was followed by mini chocolate eclairs on a platter, an assortment of mini cakes on cake stands (at chefs discretion but a coconut meringue in there was heavenly!) and a slice of coffee and walnut cake each (the talk of the wedding!)

Finally we had sultana scones with fresh cream and strawberry jam (again plated)

Tea and coffee was served continually by waitresses rather than having additional things cluttering the table.

We were done about 5.15-5.30pm

We weren't going to have wine on the table to save money, but then decided to - we had a large number of tea totals and a large number of drinkers so we accommodated both!

It was a lot cheaper than the set three course meal, and very filling but not too much (our roast meat rolls and chips served at 9pm all disappeared too! They were Turkey and Beef which we didn't have in the cream tea on purpose so not to duplicate)

The fact that tables had platters gave people options but didn't have to pander to anyones likes and dislikes (ie. if you don't like something, have something else there)

I am very glad we went with something simple that everyone could enjoy, that was high quality and very tasty and cheaper!

• J
    Beginner May 2018
    Jade1990 ·
    • Hide content

Oh thanks everyone Smiley smile they have a set afternoon tea menu but it can be personalised, and has the usual sandwiches scones cakes and savoury snacks. We were going to have wine on the tables too but think going to opt for sparkling afternoon tea which gets everyone half a bottle of prosecco each so I think that will be ok seeing as we are having drinks and canapés at the reception too.

I'm glad everyone thinks it's an ok idea as we are looking to save money here and there and it works out £10pp cheaper plus saves £300 putting wine on the table so would be great for our budget which is always a positive

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

We are thinking of doing our own afternoon tea in the village hall but have no idea about how to serve it as we won't be using a catering team

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds perfect to me, especially with half a bottle of prosecco! Yum yum!!

Definitely need to save money where you can, wedding costs mount up, we fell in love with a venue that was over our budget so to get it in budget we went with a BBQ option - we saved around £20 per person and I'm so happy with it!

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    dizzybusyblondebride ·
    • Hide content

I have been to a wedding where it was afternoon tea, it was a live,y idea but it didn't quite work, because people were sharing food and not everyone on the table knew each other there was a lot of politeness about it and some people being left hungry. Also as there actually was less food than a normal three course meal the wine went straight to a lot of people's head, not good ha ha! Just some things to be aware of!

• J
    Beginner May 2018
    Jade1990 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oooooh I never even thought about a bbq! They have a huge outdoor bbq at my venue but no bbq option (strange) but they are open to options so I might look into that as an alternative.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

I love a good BBQ and as our wedding is in the summer (4th June) we thought it would work really well, and I love the idea of it being more relaxed and informal. I never wanted the whole top table thing - I'm really excited about it! Actually going to our venue this weekend for afternoon tea with my mum and future MIL, I can't wait!!!

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding this summer where the bride and groom had tea and cake in the Church Hall before heading to the reception venue. All the local ladies made the cakes themselves which made them even more special - there were some lovely traditional Victoria sponges, chocolate cakes, scones, lemon cake etc. orange squash for the kids and tea and coffee. It was all set up beautifully on a table with plates and napkins and folks just helped themselves and then either mingled or say at a shared table.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Yes I've attended a wedding with this it looked great coming out on boards and cake stands but in reality didn't work very well for many guests.

It can take up a lot of space on tables making it a bit of a juggling act, for gluten free people it's not great -gf bread tastes like sawdust, generally not enough is served - what's left is what people didn't like at all and it can be very beige.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics