Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Afternoon Tea and Hog Roast - own organised wedding vs wedding package

silver_butterfly, 29 of January of 2013 at 09:46 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hello all,

so far I have been looking at hotel packages to take the stress out of having to organise everything myself, plus I like the idea of the whole day just being in one place and being able to stay there at the end of the night. I've recently seen that a few people have had afternoon tea instead of the traditional 3- course wedding breakfast, and my OH really wants a hog roast for the buffet in the evening. I'm guessing if we wanted these things it would mean organising venues etc all by ourselves and I have absolutely no idea where to start with all this - help please! What do I need to do? What kind of things do I need to search for??? Is there any way I could do this with the ease of a wedding package (that also won't cost a fortune!). Any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

R xx

2 replies

Latest activity by kittykatkat, 29 of January of 2013 at 18:05
  • lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Most of the venues now have hogroast as an option for the evening, and if you go for a venue which allows outside caterers, they will allow the afternoon tea as well.

You can always start with browsing for venues and which catering options they offer or catering companies they recommend and take from there.

Hope this helped!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun :0) we decided in sept to get married this summer and looked at a few packages online. We narrowed it down to a couple of venues then my sister and I attended a wedding fair at one hotel and fell in love with it. The hotel size, room sizes, facilities and location all seemed ideal the food and service were excellent and the package seemed an absolute bargain. I revisited with my mum then oh and I met the coordinator their to discuss it all. We were about to pay the deposit when I suddenly realised I did want to get married in church after all. There were 2 negatives to the hotel.... Lack of parking, given the number of people travelling, and no outdoor runaround space for the numerous young children attending. I decided these factors were important enough to me go rule out the hotel altogether so needed to start planning from scratch. One evening, my mum came with me to a local village hall to watch an amateur dramatics show. As we sat waiting for it to start, we began chatting about its great facilities and location. Granted, it looks like a modern hall, ut that's easily dealt with. Soooooo we are now getting married in our incredible parish church which is less than2 miles away, then having a hog roast, evening buffet, ice cream van and outdoor games sesh at the village hall. I have organised for a marquee lining to be put in and a mobile bar company are putting on a cash bar for free, plus only £25 corkage charge for serving our own wines and champagne in their glassware!!! Got the icecreams van to serve every guest for £100, hog roast, evening buffet, cupcakes, chair covers, favours etc for 75-100 ppl for 950, marquee lining, outdoor furniture, chandeliers etc for £600, bar for 25 and the keys to the hall from Fri lunch til sat afternoon, no restrictions for 250!!!! So actually, we are spending only what we would on the hotel package deal, but vet to have more people in a more relaxed setting AND full church wedding !! Just needs plenty of surfing the net hun....... Don't panic, and don't be afraid to barter and ask to tweak things. Good luck!! Xxx

• K
    Beginner June 2013
    kittykatkat ·
    • Hide content

We're having ours in a country house hotel - they don't offer set packages as such, more like mix-and-match, but were happy to arrange the day to our needs. When you go visit venues it's worth mentioning what you want and see whether they can tailor a 'package' especially for you. Some venues (but not all), I imagine would be more than happy to do this. I found that one good thing doing it all in one venue is that you get their staff to do pretty much all the setting up for you - personally, dealing with logistics day before/on the day of my wedding is my worst nightmare - but I suppose if you have a large family that live close by that can help, there's no reason you can't DIY a village hall fete type of wedding!

Edit: Forgot to mention we are having afternoon tea wedding breakfast at around 2pm and sit-down meal in the evening as everyone is staying at the hotel. They did offer a hog roast too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics