Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2015

Afternoon Tea Wedding Day Timings

SunnyGreenDecor113, 15 of February of 2015 at 18:27 Posted on Planning 0 10

We've decided to have an afternoon tea for our 'wedding breakfast' but have absolutely no idea of the timings involved! I can quite happily while hours away over an afternoon tea so I am worried I'm going to allow too much time! Has anyone done this for their wedding/are planning to do the same and have a better grasp of timings?!

At the moment I'm thinking ...

2-2.30 Ceremony

2.30 - 3.30 Canape and bubbles reception

3.30 - 4 Travel to reception venue

4 - 5 Drinks reception at venue, hopefully giving us enough time to get the last of our photos done

5 - 7 Afternoon Tea including speeches and cutting of the cake

7 Evening guests arrive

8 First Dance

8.30 Evening BBQ

12 Carriages

Thanks!!

10 replies

Latest activity by SunnyGreenDecor113, 16 of February of 2015 at 12:34
  • M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

We're having an afternoon tea as well!

I think we're planning on around an hour and a half for eating, but leaving half an hour wiggle room before the band comes on. I'm not sure I have a really good grasp of things though hah Smiley smile We're having a small wedding all in the same venue, and not having separate evening guests, so I can't imagine things taking too long... our timeline at the moment is:

4pm - ceremony

4.30 - 6pm - photos & canapes

6 - 7.30pm - afternoon tea

8pm - dancing starts

9pm - evening snack served

11pm - carriages

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Sunnygreendecor - are you having any canapés or nibbles? With guests getting ready and travelling they may struggle to fit in lunch - so would be going 4 odd hours without food but with alcohol ... so I would put in some snacks of some description if possible and you haven't got that covered already x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Just a little "heads up" on canapes. They look great and taste great but unless you are having a whole plate to yourself they are not for "keeping you going"

But there are canapes and then there are canapes, I have seen cones of fish and chips described as canapes which would do the job.

So it depends on how canapey your canapes are ?

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

We're having afternoon tea! However no evening guests - Im thinking of just making it more relaxed - no issues in whiling hours away Smiley smile. I'd even consider doing the speeches while eating cake!

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

We are having mini fish and chips as canapés .. A bit more filling then over priced morsels of pretty food ... but I still feel something to nibble on is better than nothing after 4 odd hours ...

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

We are having mini fish and chips as canapés .. A bit more filling then over priced morsels of pretty food ... but I still feel something to nibble on is better than nothing after 4 odd hours ...

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

We are having mini fish and chips as canapés .. A bit more filling then over priced morsels of pretty food ... but I still feel something to nibble on is better than nothing after 4 odd hours ... du

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Sorry .. I don't know why it keeps posting! Says error :-/

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    EmmaB87 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We are also planning an afternoon tea and an evening BBQ! I was concerned about people milling around for ages so we are going to hire garden games etc. so hopefully that will break it up a bit.

Nice to hear that other people are doing the same thing.

x

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

We're another pair going down a similar route ?

Aiming to have an early family lunch in the pub around 12, before heading off to hotel (family can look round town if not having a hotel there) to get ready. Ceremony at 3.15, so hopefully after a few photos everyone will be back to the reception venue for 4.30. Putting my sisters in charge of getting the food out of the fridge (it's a village hall) that we will have prepared in the morning - going for tea and scones, with a few alternatives - and then everyone can mingle while they munch and I can get the tog to take the family group shots I want. No formal photos. At a point where we feel people have eaten their fill we'll be having a couple of speeches (not my idea, I'd rather not, but BM will be miffed if he doesn't get to do his bit lol), before evening guests start arriving around 7. Then evening hog roast about 8 after the first dance, and cutting the cake for 'pud'. We get kicked out by 12.

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    SunnyGreenDecor113 ·
    • Hide content

This has been so helpful! Thanks so much :-) we're definitely going to slot in canapés for guests when they arrive at the reception venue - starving drunk guests will not go down well! Love the idea of garden games to fill the time ... Will have to see if i can incorporate something similar :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics