Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2018

Afternoon tea wedding struggles...

Blondebride27, 26 of October of 2017 at 10:11 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi guys,

Having an afternoon tea for my wedding breakfast (4pm) with canapés before, and a hog roast in the evening. Afternoon tea will include warm scones, sandwiches, brownies or shortbread, and a choice of 2 cakes (that I need to decide on!) including lemon drizzle/Victoria sponge/chocolate cake/ginger cake/ carrot cake. (Written in personal order of my preference!)

Although im super excited about afternoon tea, worried about a few little things..

If I’m having so many sweet things and cake for the main meal... would guests even want a wedding cake afterwards? I sampled the afternoon tea and it was gorgeous, but I’m not sure if I’d want ANOTHER slice of cake a few hours afterwards?

And if I did have a cake... what flavour would I have? I’d ideally want Victoria sponge, but obviously not if i chose that for the afternoon tea cake. Which would leave me with chocolate cake AND brownies which surely is too much chocolate!!

Please can any similar brides give any advice? Don’t want my guests to be in sweet overload, or have to pay £££ for a wedding cake and no one want it!

Thank you,

Esther

4 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 30 of October of 2017 at 16:43
  • L
    LuxuriousPinkHair953 ·
    • Hide content

No such thing as too much cake!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Well you don't have to have a wedding cake, or perhaps you could have a small cake for cutting and not serve any?

Dummy cakes and cheese wheel cakes are also a thing, you could go the savory approach and supply crackers with a cheese wheel cake? It might be a nice change after a sweet infused lunch. Or I've heard of pork pie cakes if you aren't into cheese.

It all boils down to how important the wedding cake is to you, do you want the big cake? Or are you doing it because "that's what happens at weddings"?

Would your afternoon tea caterers take the wedding cake into consideration if you asked them? So cut the cake and serve the slices with the afternoon tea instead of another selection? Or would they substitute one cake option for something savory like cheese and nibbles, or crisps etc?

I'm shooting in the dark here, but yes that does sound like a fair amount of cake for one day.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

When I've photographed "afternoon tea" weddings the wedding cake has been served after the evening buffet/ hog roast. Alternatively, you could consider a pork pie wedding cake instead, or a cheese one.

I can't comprehend your question about people not being able to eat more cake though?!! I can eat cake all day!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

We had exactly what you're planning - afternoon tea, then hog roast in the evening. Our afternoon tea was at about 4pm, then hog roast at about 8.30pm & wedding cake afterwards.

My FIL's friend actually made our cake - she made an amazing three tier cake & then made loads of cup cakes too - all the cup cakes had gone so I'd say people defo can't get enough cake! The cake itself there was a lot left over, but that was because it was put in the cool cabinet as it was so hot it was melting, & there were loads of cupcakes anyway. We ended up giving chunks of the cake to family & neighbours the day after & taking loads on our minimoon with us, so it certainly didn't go to waste!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics