Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner

Afternoon wedding and no evening reception?

purplestar1, 22 November, 2010 at 16:00 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi everyone, I'm looking for your advice please Smiley smile

I'm expecting my second baby so am thinking of waiting til our new baby

is 1 before we get married, (May 2012) we have a 14 month old son at the moment.

It's very important to me that our children have a nice day on our wedding

day also and I worry that such young children wouldn't be able to cope with

an evening do (they would end up asleep in a pram or

have a babysitter -family/friends in a room upstairs and I'd be worrying about them and

not having fun?)

Not sure how it would work but wondered if anyone else had found themselves in this situation and has anyone

had an early wedding, e.g. midday? then sit down lunch and drinks/some music / band? then ending early evening -

or is this just not the done thing? I guess the tricky thing would be how to wrap up the

night and effectively get the guests to leave? Perhaps if in a hotel, you could say they

were welcome to stay on in the hotel bar for drinks ?

Any help / advice is much appreciated, thanks everyone! : )

17 replies

Latest activity by Baroness, 6 May, 2011 at 17:27
  • Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

My dad and his wife didn't have a formal evening do and actually, it was really nice. They married early afternoon and had a lovely meal and speeches and everything you would normally have, and afterwards we migrated to the hotel bar and lots of us stayed there but quite a few people drifted off. It was really relaxed and lovely. It wasn't planned that people would stay together in the bar but just ended up happening.

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your quick reply and glad to hear that a similar idea worked out well!

I'll keep it in mind, thanks again! x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

When my mom got married 2nd time around it was her Hs first time and so she wanted it to be special but didn't want a huge fuss.

She had a 12'oClock ceremony, they went to their fave pub for a buffet, cut their cake and then headed off to their honeymoon.

It meant that some people stayed on at the pub partying, some people went home and some even came back to her house for a drink and a slice of cake.

It's not how i'd want to celebrate, I personally think my wedding day will be too short already, and want to savour every second, but it worked out well for her and her and her H were happy.

Forgot to say - Welcome to hitched, and our rule is Your wedding, your way... So.. Go for it! Do whatever you need to do for your family to be happy!

And congrats on the new bundle of joy

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your quick reply and help! x

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Our friends wedding in Sicily started at about 11am with the church ceremony, moved onto the reception and was all over by 7pm. There was loads of time for some dancing and much merriment. So I don't think it matters that it ends early just as long as you manage to do what you wnat, and spend time with everyone.

xx

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds lovely! good to hear of yet another success story for early weddings : ) thanks again x

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

We have 2 boys 6 and 1 and are having a 4pm wedding then a buffet we dont want and do after as the same as you the kids will be asleep and i dnt feel it is fair for them as it is there day as well as ares

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Aw thanks for your reply, that's great to hear someone thinking the same as me, good stuff!! Totally, it's a day to celebrate you as a family I feel, not just a couple anymore and I'd feel bad partying away without them? thanks again and have a lovely wedding day all of you! x

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

What's wrong with it.... you are no more or less married if you do or dont have a big evening do. some of the nicest weddings I have covered have been small, intimate and with no lavish party

• C
    creative wedding planner ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Afternoon weddings can work beautifully, no need for an evening bash, you should have the wedding you both want, and not what is expected of you.

It would be beautiful in the summer, this could be tastefully done, no problem.Lots of venues now catering for this.

What area do you live? and do you know your guests numbers yet?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

There are lots of people that don't have an evening party. How about having an Afternoon Tea style wedding, perhaps with something to keep the kids entertained. T

• C
    creative wedding planner ·
    • Hide content

Thought the same depending on the venue that you choose.

Ideas are endless, depending on the amount of children attending, there are all sorts of things to entertain the children.

And of course the adults.

Depends are what kind of day they you want really, we can come up with lots of ideas, but it may not be to your taste.

We are all different.

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again everyone for your positive replies! I'm thinking to have it in a hotel in my hometown of Ayr which has nice gardens with a treehouse/swings - great for the kids attending, maybe 8 altogether? We can have the ceremony in the gardens but after that i'm not sure how the day would run..

The earliest they can do the ceremony is at 1pm...perhaps then we could have music, drinks/canapes and then sit down meal to finish, inviting guests to stay on for drinks at the hotel should they wish to do so? Or meal first then some music..not sure!

I do worry about how to end the evening without seeming like a total anti-climax or being rude to the guests.. I had thought it would save on budget too but the main cost is meal/drinks which remains the same..lots to think about Smiley smile

Thanks again everyone x

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Oh meant to say about 60 guests and possibly May 2012

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

One of my Brides had an early wedding as she had 2 children herself. We had giant outdoor games, 2 bouncy castles, a room set aside in the village Hall with soft play mats & toys borrowed from the local playgroup. Yhey had an afternoon tea type running buffet and just let the day run itself, one of the most laid back relaxed weddings I have done & thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Bluebelle2662
    Beginner May 2012
    Bluebelle2662 ·
    • Hide content

Well my mum keeps telling me how when she got married no-one had evening do's so she doesn't see why I am having one. I think it would work really well, and sounds lovely.

I am May 2012 too Smiley smile

• V
    Beginner May 2012
    viking ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I could pretty much have written your original post myself!!

That is exactly what I am looking at doing i.e. an afternoon reception with buffet and music for approx 50 people which will need to end early evening because of our young children. I was just searching for ideas when I came across this thread!

We are looking at March 2012 (which is our 10 year 'anniversary' of being together), so the weather probably not going to be that great so can't go for an outdoor do.

I will watch this thread with interest!

Vicky xx

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Weddings didn't used to have evening dos anyway. It's a relatively new thing and I think it would work well Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics