Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2018

Age of bridesmaids

Sparkle24, 22 of April of 2017 at 19:13 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi all!

im new to all this wedding planning! I had planned to have one friend, my fiances sister and my niece as bridesmaids. Only problem is that his sister will be 11 and my niece will be 8. Is this too young for bridesmaids? I've read that junior bridesmaids start from age 12-16 so now I'm thinking under the mat age and they can't be classed as bridesmaids? They are too old for flower girls though, in my opinion.

can I get people's opinions on this please? Smiley smile

thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by Sparkle24, 28 of April of 2017 at 12:46
  • DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry too much about 'labelling' them yet. Take them to the dress shop and let them see their choices. They might gravitate towards the white flower girl dresses in which case they are flower girls. Or they might want to be grown up and wear the matching bridesmaid dresses.

But that's just me, I let our 6 year old pick her outfit so I'm a bit more relaxed about dresses haha!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

There are no rules about at what age you chose to call someone a bridesmaid other than at a certain age the label flower girl may be a bit embarrassing for the girl. There is nothing wrong with calling them all bridesmaids if you want and the "upgrade" will make them feel all special and grown up on the day.

The same dilemma goes with page boys because at a certain age the label is embarrassing for the lad so rather than usher they can be given the label groomsman (even though Mum and Dad tell me that in all reality they are in fact a page boy ? )

• M
    Beginner October 2018
    Meg101 ·
    • Hide content

I worried about this. I have 3 bridesmaids - 2 adults and one seven year old (my cousin s daughter). I want to call her bridesmaid because I was a bridesmaid her age for her parents wedding. Also she won't be throwing flowers which is what consider a flower girl to do. She will however wear a different dress to other bridesmaids

• disneyfanatic95
    Dedicated June 2017
    disneyfanatic95 ·
    • Hide content

My girls are 5 and two 11 years. I don't think they are too young tbh

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

I have a 7 year old bridesmaid, plus two flower girls who are 4 and 2 and then adult bridesmaids.

I do think 11 and 8 are too old to be labelled flower girls, but honestly, there are no set rules on it. I have always been 'bridesmaid' since the first time at 2 and a half.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

My niece is going to be 11 on our wedding day, & she's going by the name of bridesmaid! She's at that age where she wants to wear more grown up dresses & shoes with a little heel - I let her pick her dress from a range on Monsoon's website -I think for 8 to 15 year olds - might be worth checking out?

• S
    Beginner June 2018
    Sparkle24 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics