Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Aimee
Beginner April 2022 Lancashire

aita - Am i in the wrong for saying no to my family's request? Inviting people to my wedding

Aimee, 21 of September of 2021 at 16:04 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 12

So i have been pretty stressed plannig this wedding!

Long story short, I am 23, am working full time, at uni, have recently got a mortgage on my first house and am attempting to plan this wedding! I am stressed!

I have had a few issues so far with the wedding, my original maid of honour dropped out of the wedding and stopped talking to me, I have had a bridesmaid drop out and come back twice and then stop speaking to me all together, my grandparent son my dads side are no longer attending the wedding due to the way they have been treating me, which has annoyed my dad.

So, i receive a call yesterday from my mum saying she needs to ask me something. She says that my nan (grandparent on my mums side) is very upset with me because she has realised that all three of her sisters and their partners and kids are not invited to my wedding. My mum then said to me that I need to invite them all and my grandparents may help towards the cost of their food. I have never met any of my nans sisters, husbands or kids (I wasn't even aware there was husbands or kids). None of them have seen me or spoken to me in about 20 years and have never met or heard of my partner before. Myself and my partner are wanting a very simple, intimate wedding, with immediate family and close friends at our ceremony. My partner has a very large immediate family and some of them aren't even coming even though we see them quite often. I tried to explain to my mum our situation, that we have already paid and confirmed our seating plan/ table plan, room décor, number of seats and food choices etc, and that we are only having immediate close family there to share the day as these are the people that we want to spend the day with and also the people that care about seeing us get married.

My mum has then got very angry at me saying that it is awful of me to refuse to invite her family. I mentioned that all close, immediate family from both sides are invited, even some cousins from her side (we haven't invited cousins from my partners side due to the sheer amount) I feel terrible that she is upset as well as my nan, but I am also sick of giving in to everyone and saying yes to things I do not want at my own wedding for the sake of others. I feel as though no one is taking into consideration that we are young, stressed, paying for the whole thing ourselves and just want to marry each other in the presence of the people that matter most to us. We don't want a large wedding full of people we do not know and do not care that we are getting married/ did not even know my partner existed until my nan told them of our wedding. (related or not). My nans sisters/husbands/kids etc ,have never got in touch with me, seen or spoken to me, asked about me either. I understand weddings are a family event, but my wedding is still not an excuse for people to take it upon themselves to invites others I do not know, especially when it is all paid for, organised etc and we don't want anymore people anyway..

Am I in the wrong for wanting to put my foot down with this a little bit? There are plenty of my extended members of family (from this side of the family) that have got married and whose weddings I was never invited to or informed of. It hasn't bothered me in the slightest because I do not know any of them well enough or see them enough to expect a wedding invite (in my opinion anyways) please help I feel terrible but I feel as though I should be allowed to be a little bit selfish when it comes to our wedding day and not feel guilty for things like this.. xx

12 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 24 of September of 2021 at 12:59
  • Roxy
    Curious June 2022 Devon
    Roxy ·
    • Hide content

Please don't feel guilty!!! We've had exactly the same and been offered money to 'cover it'. I don't even understand why someone would want to go to a wedding when they barely know the bride or groom? People that are being like that, clearly aren't people you want at your wedding anyway.

It's your wedding so invite who you want. I think it's awful people think they can essentially buy peoples way into a wedding, it's really not the point. It's such a personal event. (I would actually love to elope but partner to be says no!).

My in law asked me how our wedding was going to be a wedding and not just a big party, I told her I don't really like weddings so i'm hoping it will seem like a big party! :-D

Tell your mum that invites are done and you can't change your booking so it's tough!

• S
    Curious October 2021 Swansea
    Shelbycobra ·
    • Hide content
    Its so hard trying to please everyone and i can sympathise with you wanting too but you honestly cant please everyone its impossible and you will wear yourself down trying. Think about how you want your day and qhat
  • S
    Curious October 2021 Swansea
    Shelbycobra ·
    • Hide content
    *what will make you and your partner happy and go from there. Weddings are expensive and the last thing you want to do is look back and think about how it should or could have been. Its your day make it one you can look back on fondly 🙂. It is hard emotionally but stick to your guns and the people who love and support you the most will understand and be there for you x
  • Marie
    Savvy October 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Marie ·
    • Hide content
    I’d be really peeved if that happened to me. Stick to what you want, it’s your day. They don’t like it - tough! I had someone comment can I be bridesmaid this time … nope I’ve got 3 kids thanks! Which totally pissed me off and made my decision to have a ceremony as just us very easy. I’ve had a few digs made but tough!
  • J
    Beginner June 2022 Greater Manchester
    Jem ·
    • Hide content
    If you’re paying for it then 100% don’t feel guilty. If your nan or mum were paying it would be different but even at that point if they are not people you know or spend time with then it seems ridiculous for people to get upset that they aren’t invited.
    I’m being brutal with my list as we are paying for it ourselves so if people don’t like it they can simply not attend, at the end of the day it’s you and your fiancé’s day - not theirs! Xx
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

The minefield that is family and weddings! You absolutely should not feel guilty, it is sad your Mum has put you in this position but you are not in the wrong. We want a small wedding and I have a large family so we made the decision to only have aunts/uncles (who I rarely see but is easier than dealing with the fallout) and then my cousins (28 of them!) are all invited to the evening. We thought really hard about our guest list and some people we thought we would have we are not as we don't see them so I would certainly not invite people I have never met to my wedding, family or not. this is your day and you should not be guilt tripped in to this. My mum has been very opinionated and I have had to sit her down and have a frank conversation with her, which was not pleasant, but it is our day and we are paying so I have told her in no uncertain terms that the sniping and rudeness has to stop, we are inviting people who are present in our lives and supported us and not who she wants. To be fair, since I explained how her comments and demands are making me feel and that she is my only source of wedding stress and is not making the planning experience nice she has backed off. It is so hard as you don't want to upset your Mum but neither should you feel this way. Stand your ground and I hope you get back on track X

• M
    Beginner September 2024 Nottinghamshire
    Mrsswain2Beagin ·
    • Hide content
    No not at all. Its YOUR day and you entitled to be selfish and have what you want. X
  • E
    Beginner April 2026 Kent
    Emily ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely do not feel guilty! Absolutely do not invite people whom have never attempted to be a part of your life! My family is so large that only my immediate family are invited to the day which includes Parents, siblings with nieces and nephews only. My uncles and cousins have been a part of my life when I was younger, and they always make an effort with big birthdays, but I simply can't afford them. I haven't even mentioned my guest list to my parents yet as our wedding is 4 years away. We are having a 2 day wedding so on the second day EVERYONE will get an invite, but this is because there is no sit down meal and therefore it doesn't cost £100pp.

Do you babe! It's your day!

• E
    Beginner November 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    El Peacock ·
    • Hide content
    This is YOUR twos day!!! I know it’s hard. But if you don’t want them their it’s pretty simple that their not coming. X
  • Lauren
    Curious April 2022 Kent
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    No your not wrong in the slightest. Do whats best for you. At the end of the day its your special day and you can celebrate it with whoever you want and whichever way you want
  • L
    Beginner October 2021 Dorset
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content

I had the same issue, I just said no I'm not and explained why

• S
    Beginner May 2023 Cornwall
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Previous generations were inviting all the extended family, but back then the parents were paying for the wedding the the guests would be buying what you needed to set up your hone together. Now that we pay for our own weddings we get the final say on who we invite, and if it’s distant family that you never saw before your wedding day you’re probably not going to see them again after, so why she’ll out for a meal for them and have them in your photos? Your mum is being unreasonable asking, keep your foot down x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics