Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

alabastamasta
Beginner May 2014

Alabastamasta's Alice in Wonderland wedding report: Final part **Flash Heavy!**

alabastamasta, 3 of September of 2014 at 01:34 Posted on Planning 0 39

Hello!

OK - part 1 (DIY extravaganza)

We got up and showered, then headed to the breakfast room for a fry up of locally sourced food - delicious and just what the doctor ordered. Then I started on my nails. Which I *should* have done the day before, but was too busy faffing about with teacups Smiley sad

I gave all the bridesmaids their presents and the hairdressers turned up to start on all the BMs' hair dos; we ended up with 2 hairdressers as there were so many people that needed doing (4 BMs, 1 flowergirl, 2 female ushers and 1 MOB!) Chief BM went first as she then had to do my hair extensions which would take a chunk of the morning. It was nice to hide out in our room and do hair, as the main breakfast room had been taken over by children and hairdressers and was more than a little hectic! Of course, we cracked out the prosecco at this point - didn't want to be thirsty, after all! Smiley tongue

Whilst CBM was doing my hair, I carried on with my nails. The tog turned up around this time and shortly after, so did my flowers, done by the fabulous Tracey Tomlinson of

From high, to low: our MoC (who was also one of the owners of Wethele) came to find me in a bit of a panic. I'd hired some birch trees from

Then, I realised I really had to get a shift on; MOB also wanted her makeup done, so as soon as my hair was finished and my foundation was put on, CBM went and did Mum's makeup, while I put on my eyeshadow and eyebrows. Then there was just enough time to get the rest of my makeup on before I was helped into my beautiful dress (another team effort, made by 2 wonderful friends!)

Then, it was time to get the veil on, head downstairs, get my shoes on and see my dad and get in the cars!

Once we were in the car, Dad told be that a 6am that morning, the car hire firm he'd booked phoned and cancelled our cars - luckily, he found a replacement or it could all have been a bit tricky! Once we were on the road, my heart started pounding and I started to feel a bit overwhelmed. It didn't really go away until I was at the church and had something else to focus on. When we got there, the vicar was outside waiting for us to make sure we remembered what order to walk in, and that I hadn't changed my mind Smiley tongue

Then, we got married Smiley smile

Walking into a church, full of everyone you love is a feeling like no other. I felt like all my emotions were barely being held inside me; I was grinning so much I thought my head would fall off Smiley tongue

The service was wonderful, with the perfect balance of warmth, humour and sadness - the last time my family were all in that church together was to say goodbye to my granny, and there were some that were very sorely missed, but there were others (mainly crazy flower girls) who made us smile - and laugh when they were messing about.

We had a reading from Alice in Wonderland and before I knew it, we were signing the register, while our playlist (Once Upon A Dream, Lana Del Ray and Halleujah, Jeff Buckley) filled the church. It sounded awesome. We exited to Mendelssohn's Wedding March and got showered in confetti Smiley laugh

Then, we did the only full wedding party pic at the church and got in the car to head back to Wethele as husband and wife Smiley smile

Via a trip to the local Spar, where I used to get sweets with my granny - my dress was too big to fit down the aisles of the shop and it tried to steal a box of Freddos. Clearly, they don't make corner shops to fit brides into!

(taken by Husband!)

We got to Wethele and most people had already arrived and were having drinks in the courtyard in the sunshine Smiley smile We did more of the formal shots and promptly lost all the children to the

The playlist was going down well with the canapes and prosecco and before I knew it, it was time for everyone to head into the marquee and have the wedding breakfast. Before I went in, me, Husband and our little one had an 80s power ballad moment, with assistance from my veil Smiley tongue

Then we went down the rabbit hole!

The marquee looked amazing, with everyone in it; once it was full of our nearest and dearest, all my crazy obsessions suddenly came together and it was better than I could have possibly imagined Smiley smile

Then, food! Due to crazy dietary issues (vegan, veggie, allergies, you name it, we had it!) there were 4 options for each course and everything was amazing. The food was incredible; OH and I couldn't decide on our menu, so we shared each course Smiley smile

I'd previously commissioned a friend to make me a whole load of meringue toadstools, 2 of which were put on each dessert. And they were awesome - and tasted great!

After our glorious dinner, we ran out for a quick shoot while the light was still good, before the sun went down and the speeches started.

While we were out, Husband’s sister handed round some copies of an illustration she’d done, with packets of coloured pencils: they amused everyone for ages!
Then came the speeches. And they were wonderful. Laughs, tears, memories, a projector and even videos from a best man tag team Smiley tongue

After everyone's planned speeches, I felt that I had to get up and thank everyone again who had helped me to undertake the ridiculous task I'd set myself; this was one day I truly couldn't have got through without their help

Then it was time for cake! Smiley laugh My mum's friend completely outdid herself with our Alice/woodland brief. And for someone who only makes cakes for friends for fun, I really think she missed her calling:

Clearly I had had a bit to drink as I initially tried to cut the cake with the knife upside down. And then I did a HeMan impression Smiley atonished
Next up was our first dance and the party! The barn where the dancefloor is was hidden behind a wall of curtains, and got revealed when it was time for the first dance - a nice touch on the venue's part Smiley smile We are lucky enough to know a bunch of great DJs, so 4 of our guests each took a slot on the decks, with our first DJ playing our first dance: Monsters and Angels, by Voice of the Beehive. We didn't rehearse anything, dance-wise, so it went from awkward (but happy) swaying, to spinning around really fast, to all the flower girls joining in for a really weird ring'o'roses!

Then, the party proper started with Starship's We Built This City and a plethora of 80s and cheesy rock \m/ Next up, was the band. Husband and one of the best men have been in a band, Manuskript, for 22 years(!) and when we were planning our day, it seemed natural that they would play.

Understandably, H didn't want to play a full set, so we worked out a set that meant he only had to play bass on the last 2 songs and the rest of them - more 80s synth pop covers than anything else - didn't need him to play. What he didn't realise was that his dad would get up and play a song - on the euphonium, no less!

And I also surprised him by getting up on stage when they asked for someone who had got married that day, and singing Lovesong, by The Cure, which with no rehearsals at all went pretty well and was actually great fun!

Next up, was double Dutch and the skipping song. The bar staff a worked the farm, so I knew I could count on them to get me some rope and another old tradition form mine and my friends' clubbing days was enacted, with my mum winning! Then, the Locomotion started and it all went down hill from there Smiley tongue

the Locomotion! Taken by Luke Leonard

the Locomotion! Taken by Luke Leonard

After that, the party just kept on going and the night finished with me racking up £260 bill on shots (whoops!) and an after party in the house after the guests had left. An awesome end to an amazing day Smiley smile Smiley smile

We told people to take stuff from their table as favours - and they did! Smiley smile

And now, it's all done! The plants are all planted in my garden; we'd told people they could take anything from their tables as a favour, so the plants that didn't come home with me are how planted in gardens all over the place, and teacups everywhere from our wedding are being used Smiley smile The seeds from the Macmillan placeholders have come up and I even managed to save some of the succulents from the buttonholes and my bouquet, and they are planted in a giant teacup in the back garden, reminding me of an awesome day that couldn't have been better Smiley smile

tog: Adrian Brown, Clear Image Photography: http://www.clearimagephotography.co.uk
bouquets: Tomlinson Flowers: http://www.flowers-coventry.co.uk/default.aspx
wholesale flowers: Triangle Nursery: http://www.trianglenursery.co.uk/
band: Manuskript

39 replies

Latest activity by hallowedding, 5 of September of 2014 at 16:29
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Incredible! What a day. Gorgeous little family too. Huge congratulations x

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

Wow what an amazing day! Congratulations!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Wow, just wow!!! I love the double dutch and the 80's power moment and the taking of the giant mushroom and, oh, just everything!!!

Definitely a report worth waiting for!

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

Wow, what an amazing day! All of your hard work really paid off, fabulous friends and family helping and some great memories made.

Congratulations!!!!

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

Best wedding report I have ever read! By a mile!! I can't decide which is my favourite bit, there are so many. Congratulations, you did an amazing job x

• K
    Beginner May 2015
    kimbleshi ·
    • Hide content

That was so AWESOME! (I'm now late for work as I had to sit and read it all but who cares) What a wonderful wedding! Everything looks so beautiful and everyone looks so happy. I bet you had the perfect day Smiley smile Thank you for sharing - it makes my own growing piles of teacups seem like a good plan again!

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

It all looks amazing! Congratulations again. What a beautiful report Smiley smile

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

So beautiful! Looks like you had the most amazing day! I love your dress! Congratulations to the start of your new married life! ?

xxx

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Great wedding! All looks awesome!

Out of curiosity, where did you get those wooden arrows from?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Just gorgeous! All your hard work really paid off! So happy for you and very many congratulations ?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I feel a little bit teary on your behalf that it's all over. Easily the best wedding I've seen on hitched, EASILY! Congratulations (once again!)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Everything looks so amazing! Congrats Smiley smile

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic! Great report, love the look of your day, and I am still in total awe of your dress.

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content

What an amazing report! Huge congratulations! Looks like you had an amazing day!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Teacups - and flowers in teapots - were the best decisions I made! I seriously questioned my sanity up until about a month before (when it was WAY too late to change my mind!), but it all came together so awesomely on the day Smiley smile
    And people took bits home that they picked, so there's more chance they would keep them Smiley smile Like my Auntie

Smiley smile

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw, yay! Thanks hon! xx

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dad made them! Just cut a point into a plank of wood (might have been a floorboard, can't remember!) then my cousin did the artwork Smiley smile

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be honest, I still get a bit choked that it's all done! I can't believe that I have no reason to buy teacups from charity shops any more! Smiley sad

Thanks hon xxx

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Amazing report! Loved reading that! My favourite photo is the one with a toadstool on the head! haha! Congratulations!

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Amazing - I was thinking about an AiW theme, but I'm now glad the H2B poo-pooed it cos it would have paled in comparison - beautiful, amazing Smiley smile

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I LOVE my dress still; even though it's torn and still covered in mud and booze Smiley smile
    I can't believe how amazingly talented my friends are to turn this dress into that one!

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous dress, and absolutely love all the signs and little touches. Looks like a magical day!

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

Aw this whole report series has been fantastic! I've loved reading all of it and man do I wish I could have been there. Just seems like it was a completely perfect day - thank you so much for sharing and I really hope it inspires other people with ideas for their own weddings. Congratualtions and I hope you're loving married life!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks hon!! It was a wonderful, amazing, awesome, magical day. Loved every minute of it and am weirdly still sad that it's all over!
    Married life is good: pretty much the same as before, really! Although there's now more time to do Other Stuff, rather than wedding wedding wedding!

I thoroughly recommend going all out with an idea for a wedding, although it's probably best if you can thrive on stress and very little sleep, haha!

x

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely amazing! I think I can guess who will win best wedding in the next awards! Congratulations, glad you had a perfect day, it looked fantastic Smiley smile

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Well worth the wait, congratulations on putting together the most incredible wedding, your dress is in a category of it's own, just amazing!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic! You both look great! Congratulations!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!! It's all gorgeous!

• K
    Beginner May 2015
    kimbleshi ·
    • Hide content

That also deals with my fiance asking what we do with all the teacups afterwards!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Everything is simply stunning. From the church to the decor to your amazing dress.... it all looks wonderful.

Plus the reception venue looked AMAZING. We made an excellent choice I think! ?

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh, I blimmin' LOVE this! The whole thing is just amazing! Massive props to you for taking the DIY to another level and going all-out on the Alice theme, it works so well.

In one of your reports you said you were a DIYer by profession - what is it that you do, and can we all hire you please?! Can we also hire all your friends and family who helped out? I don't think I know anyone who is anywhere near as creative as you and yours!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Love every single last bit of this. Even though I've already seen all the pics, I couldn't help but go through them all again - love it. And love the text to picture -ratio - made it very easy to read :-) I know I've said all this before but the dress looked incredible and I know the details almost drove you mad, but you pulled it off perfectly in the end. Awesome. You're making me feel slightly bad for not getting round to my wedding report though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics