Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2012

Alcohol Before The Ceremony?

samberger, 1 of August of 2012 at 12:50 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi all,

Getting married in September and we've hit a bit of problem in that we really wanted to welcome people to the venue with a glass of champagne, etc before the ceremony.

The caterers are saying that they can't do this as it is against the law which, sounds a bit iffy to me. Therein, my question is - does anyone know if this is a law or is it something either the caterers are making up, or that it is possibly a site-specific rule.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

12 replies

Latest activity by Alex, 3 of September of 2024 at 09:12
  • SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I always thought it depended on the time of day (like not before 10am)? But I don't know whether that is just for purchasing alcohol.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I've definitely been to weddings where I've purchased a drink from the bar beforehand but that may be down to the fact it was a permanent bar, or maybe down to time of the ceremony like SuperDuff said.

I got married at noon and the bar was not open before mine - didn't question why though!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I think it would depend on your venues licencing law and also on the day you are getting married, ie if your getting married on a Sunday then you cant serve drink before a certain time. Our venue told us that there is no such thing as a late licence so when venues charge you an extra £150 to keep the bar open an extra couple of hours on that pretnece it is a total scam (needless to say our venue is not doing this!) but from when my parents owned an off-licene I know that we where not able to serve drink before 10am but this was before the 24 hour licence came in to play so I am not sure what it is at the moment. I would question why it is against the law and see what they say, you can always use the arguement that you can buy a shot at 7am in Weatherspoons if you really like so why cant they give out a glass of champagne!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you have a particularly early ceremony, they may well not be able to sell it. But you would be buying this beforehand and simply redistributing? I'm not sure there's an issue with that. Licensing laws relate to the sale of alcohol, not the distribution of it without payment.

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    samberger ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the feedback. A couple of extra elements I missed out of the initial email:

1) We are giving people the alcohol, not selling it;

2) The wedding is at 3pm, so not the crack of dawn!

Cheers,

Sam

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

I wonder if it is something to do with the registrars as we were told that our registrar will meet up with my OH in the ceremony room 1/2 an hour before the wedding but she made sure he knew that he would not be allowed to bring an alcoholic drink into that meeting with him! We are not actually serving drinks before the ceremony but as it is in a hotel the hotel bar will be open. We get married at 2.30.

Not sure if this helps at all. I would ask them the reasoning behind it.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

My understanding is you can not serve alcohol in the room where you are to be having the ceremony before the ceremony starts (and guest are not allowed to bring their drink into the room)

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes, that's definitely true. It would have to be served elsewhere.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

You are definitely not allowed alcohol in the ceremony room for the one hour before the ceremony. Also, (obviously) you are not allowed to be under the influence for the marriage (although I think they turn a blind eye to a glass of bubbles while you're getting ready, as long as you don't roll up sloshed!).

I have been to a wedding where we were told it was illegal to be served alcohol before the ceremony, even if we bought it, but that was in Vegas!

If you're unsure, I'd question them again.

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    samberger ·
    • Hide content

Aaah! Thanks all - I think you've anwered the question.

The wedding is in a big event space where the reception is being held too. I guess once anyone is in the space they are technically in the room where the wedding will take place. Makes sense.

Oh well - we'll just have to serve them in the courtyard outside!

Many thanks for all the replies - very useful!

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

My venue get round this by using a partition between the bar and the ceremony seats so bar will be open before ceremony but technically not in same room. Could you serve drinks outside?

• M
    Vale Of Glamorgan
    Magdale ·
    • Hide content

Girls, I have a serious problem, my husband after the ceremony began to drink every day and drinks until without remembrance, what to do, who knows, I do not know where to go in London.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics