Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

All ceremony speaking roles done by people on my side... is this a bad???

Anonbride, 22 of November of 2022 at 14:30 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 4

Inititially, we asked a shared friend (N) and FSIL to do our readings.

We asked FSIL mainly because my brother's in my wedding party, she isn't one of my bridesmaids and FH didn't want her to be a groomswoman, so we wanted her to feel included in some way.

N felt like the perfect choice as he's the mutual friend we met though, arguably he's closer to FH than me but wasn't close enough on either side to be in either of our small wedding parties, he was super excited but then it transpired our wedding clashed with his brother's! Ofc, he's going to his brother's and we completely understood.

We then decided to ask my friend J. This friend is a close friend of mine who's also probably travelling the furtherest so making the biggest effort to be at our wedding, is super charasamatic and a great public speaker. We thought it worked well having one from my side and one from FH's side.

Then FSIL said no, she didn't want to do a reading.

So that's put us in a bit of a pickle. We're keen to have two readings as we've found two readings that we like, and many of our friends have said that as a guest the readings are their favourite part of a wedding ceremony.

I suggested FFIL, given that FOB gets to do a speach so maybe FOG would like to do something too, but FH said his dad would definitely hate it.

FH looked through the close friends on his side of the list, and felt either they wouldn't like to do a reading or that they couldn't be trusted with a responsibility (looool).

He actually then suggested my friend B - also super charasmatic and I know would love it!

The next closest person we have to a shared friend is my K, who FH regularly hangs out with solo now, but K is very shy and softly spoken so that's why FH suggested B.

I'm worried that if we ask B, then both readers are my friends, in addition to our officiant being my friend. Outside of the context of N and J being our first choices, does it look bad that everyone speaking during our ceremony are my people?

We could ask K first, but I don't want him to feel like he has to say yes (he's a lovely people pleaser) and then either hate it or be so quiet the guests can't hear him... or we could potentially ask one of the groomsmen, but then that would mean J is the only person we're giving a 'job' to that we haven't honoured with a place in the wedding party... or we just ignore the issue of trying to even out the sides and just ask B as the best speaker?

4 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 23 of November of 2022 at 13:25
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think you are overthinking this! If your OH had several friends who were desperate to do a reading, then you might have a point, but the reality is, you only have people from your side because they are the only people who are willing and capable of doing the job! And hopefully, over time, your friends will become friends for both of you anyway. A marriage is all about starting a new family unit, so I think getting too hung up on 'his side' and 'her side' kind of goes against the whole idea.

Who are you having as witnesses? Can you make sure at least one of them is a friend or family member of your OH? Witnesses are very important roles, but don't have do say anything in public, so this might be a way of honouring those close to you who are not confident with a speaking role.

Edited to say: Being asked to do a role such as reading at a wedding IS an honour, so you don't need to worry about J not being part of the wedding party either.

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess I'm just worried that anyone without the context might assume I was some bridezilla who didn't let any of FH's friends do a reading! But you're right, am probably overthinking!!

Unfortunately as we're doing our legal signing early due to my friend officiating and that being non-legal, and FMIL has been such a nightmare about it, FH has decided he'd prefer not to invite his family to that day because he's worried she'll ruin it and just have my parents as our witnessess (otherwise that would have been next on my list to ask FSIL!) Smiley sad

• Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content

No I don't think it matters, you ask the people who will be best at the job.

both of our readings were meant to be by my friends (except now my longest friend can't come to the ceremony she is a teacher and her request for a day off was denied) so instead the registrar is reading it (my friend wrote it so she will say that's its from A).

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I doubt very much that anyone will think you are a bridezilla just because both readers are from 'your' side. I've been to a number of weddings where readings have been done by all one side, and I've always just assumed that it was because those were the people who were available/able/willing to do the job. I've only ever once wondered if the groom had any say in it, and that was because the bride WAS being a bridezilla about absolutely everything, so it was quite probable that her unfortunate groom hadn't got a say in who did readings or solos!

So if you're not being bridezilla-y in other areas, I really don't think you need to worry about it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics