Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner November 2023 Northamptonshire

All day invite - declined for just day

Francesca, 22 of February of 2023 at 19:50 Posted on Planning 0 4
Hey all.
Just would like some perspective.
We have asked some friends of ours to our wedding. They have replied really happy to be invited but say they only able to come to the wedding in the day, because of childcare.
We’ve decided to limit children other then immediate family so I know what means we need to understand people’s commitments but I kind of feel we are getting married in November 8 months away.
How would other brides feel about this?
I stupidly thought if you invited someone to the day they came all day. We are not getting married very far away from where we all live.
I’m aware we can invite more evening guests but I wasn’t planning on inviting loads more and I have this vision of the dance floor being completely empty if everyone’s leaves early. I’ve done it on a Sunday..so teachers can come but now I worry everyone will be rushing home for work on Monday.

4 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 23 of February of 2023 at 19:28
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding where everyone has stayed for the full event unless it's a wedding that finishes really early (i.e. no evening party). It's quite normal for people with young children to leave early whether or not you allow them to bring their kids - either they need to get home to put the kids to bed, or they need to get home to relieve the babysitter.

As for how many other people will leave early, it depends on your crowd. When I was in my 20s, I'd be ok with an occasional late night before a working day, but as I've got older, I've wanted to be home earlier.

• Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't really see the problem with this, I think they're making the effort to come and watch you vow to spend the rest of your life together and they obviously mean enough to you for you to invite them to the whole thing. Instead of them declining the whole invite they've made a choice to come and witness the most important bit.

Now I understand if you're paying for guests to have a sit down meal then you might think it's a bit cheeky but you were going to pay for them anyway because you invited them?

I also worry sometimes about the dance floor being empty but I think that comes from the fear of everyone not having fun, but ultimately it's your day so as long as you're having fun that's all that matters xx

• D
    Beginner May 2023 South Yorkshire
    Deborah ·
    • Hide content
    If you only want close family kids at the wedding and your friends understand this, maybe you could compromise and say you want them to enjoy the whole day and the kids can join in in the evening.
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I honestly think this is ok - at least they are letting you know now rather than on the day so you can adjust the evening guest list if you want to.

As a child-free person myself, it’s not always easy to see how important a family’s routine is, but leaving their children for a whole day and evening might just be too much for them. My sister had to leave her own wedding for an hour to settle her daughter because the babysitter couldn’t get her down!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics