Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2021 Bristol

Alteration advice

Hannah, 21 of June of 2021 at 22:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15
I’ve found a lady who advertises on a local website that she does alterations. My dress needs to be shortened & adjusted slightly. The lady has said she could do it slightly to check If I’m happy with the length so’s it could be adjusted bit by bit to allow for the hem. The lady seems nice & very knowledgeable, but could not show me any of her work & I’m not sure if I should take her up on it. The lady said she trained as a trailer in India & would only need a week to make the adjustments the price she has said is reasonable. I don’t know if I’m being a bit too over cautious?

15 replies

Latest activity by Hannah, 26 of June of 2021 at 08:41
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    For my wedding dress I went with someone who had been recommended and I’m still a bit wobbly that it might be wrong. For peace of mind ask around friends or at the bridal shop you got your dress from, you don’t want added stress
  • H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Marcie I think I will end up doing that. Your right I don’t want the added stress. X
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I’m not sure where you brought your dress from but I know some shops have lists of recommended seamstresses.
    Maybe you could pop in and ask them.
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Personally I wouldn’t risk it unless I had personal recommendations from someone who’d used this seamstress for bridal.

Alterations are annoyingly expensive (I bought a great value dress that I love- the alterations are costing me nearly as much. Hemming alone is costing £250 but it’s London (Pimlico) and she came recommended by my bridal boutique).
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Emma I bought the dress in monsoon & let’s just say the women who ‘helped me’ was a bit insulting for a person stylist - as she claimed to be! So unfortunately won’t be asking her advice. Don’t think anyone should ever be questioned on their size! When she asked me what size I said 14 her response are you sure that’s your size ( whilst I’m wearing another dress in that size!) thanks for your suggestion x
  • H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks April 21 Bride I agree I think you say the word wedding & everything trebles in price! I think I will go with all of your advice & keep searching don’t want to risk having to buy another dress as this ones ruined. Thanks x
  • Marcie
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    Hannah where are you based ?
  • H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m in Bristol, thanks for the replies x
  • Marcie
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m in Bristol , il get you the details of who my friends have used in Bristol as mine is in Wiltshire as it’s where I’m originally from.
  • H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah thanks you that would be lovely - I’ve made an appointment with a lady who a friend recommended so keeping all options open thanks 👍🏻
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wtf?! 😯 how bad!! Oh lovely I’m sorry you had a bad experience. Yeah she can jog on 🤣

I’m not sure if your area has a community page on Facebook, we have one where we can get recommendations. Then you could always look at their work too. My local Wed2Be give out a list, you could blag it and say you lost your list and do they have one 🙊
  • H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes not the best experience but I did buy a lovely dress so you’ve got to take something positive out of I suppose - just a good job I was so shocked by what she said that I didn’t let it upset me. That’s a good idea thanks for the heads up may do that if I don’t get any joy x
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly all those bridal shows sell you a dream. I never thought alterations cost this much- I was fine money wise but they should factor this cost in when selling you a dress 🙄🤣
  • B
    Curious March 2022 South East London
    Betka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hate this person on your behalf, what a terrible thing to say.

• H
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry for late reply thanks yes I think some people just should work with the public if they are going to be judgmental about size/ appearances.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics