Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2015

Alteration costs?

brit, 24 of August of 2014 at 21:14 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi B2B's and wifes,

I was wondering how much it would typically cost to have a wedding dress altered?

The fit is perfect its purely too long, im a shortarse, so need around 8inches off my dress.

I live in Nottingham (as im assuming location will depend on price)

thanks Smiley smile

15 replies

Latest activity by LucyLastic, 26 of August of 2014 at 09:11
  • ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content

Hard to say! It will depend on the style of the dress, as certain falls and embellishments will make it difficult to alter. Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner September 2015
    brit ·
    • Hide content

Its very plain grecian style almost maxi dress at the front with a long train on it.

Not a great pic but theres an idea if anyone can help me Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

There's a lady in mansfield I used her prices are amazing if it's not too far out I'll dig her contact details out for you?

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

It might vary quite a lot but at the shop I've had my dress on to make my dress smaller on the top it's costing £125 and she said to shorten would be £75. My dress is tulle bottom so that might make a difference. I'm a shorty (5'1') but I'm wearing skyscraper shoes to save the pennies! X

• B
    Beginner September 2015
    brit ·
    • Hide content

If you could dig the details out, I would really appreciate that! Thanks!

Im on a 4inch block on that pic and I'm not wearing heels for my wedding for 2 reasons

1- i want to be comfy

2- my H2B is the same height as me bar about 2 inches lol x

• ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here! I'm 5'2" but I am only wearing kitten heels. No way in hell I am crippling myself or breaking an ankle. Smiley smile

It's a pretty plain dress, simple fall, I would say as long as whoever you send it to has a dressmakers dummy it wouldn't be problematic to adjust. They might want you to pop it on so they can get the length perfect. I'll go with the above quote and say around £75ish, possibly as high as £125. As you said on your first post it's dependant on area. Smiley smile

You will probably need to get it dry cleaned after it is returned too - most seamstresses are amazing but white is a pain in the butt not to get any marks on. Smiley smile Better to be safe than sorry!!

Xx

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Hello fellow Nottingham Lady ? I've had my dress from Beau Belles in Borrowash (Derby), which isn't too far for me to travel but I suppose it depends on which side of Nottingham you are, and they said alterations would be £20?! Although I'm wondering if that's because I bought the dress there? May be worth asking though? Does the shop where you got your dress do alterations?

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Hello fellow Nottingham Lady ? I've had my dress from Beau Belles in Borrowash (Derby), which isn't too far for me to travel but I suppose it depends on which side of Nottingham you are, and they said alterations would be £20?! Although I'm wondering if that's because I bought the dress there? May be worth asking though? Does the shop where you got your dress do alterations?

• ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most places will alter a dress you buy from them at a nominal charge. I've had ones done for free before for balls and parties. Smiley smile It's always more expensive to get something altered elsewhere.

• B
    Beginner September 2015
    brit ·
    • Hide content

Ohhhh im in Long Eaton so not far at all!!

I've bought my dress from a factory outlet so unfortunately they don't do alterations Smiley sad

i may well have to contact them

thank you for that ☺️ xx

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

Mine cost just over £200 but the top needed taking in about 3 sizes and I needed about 9 inches of the bottom, but my dress has lots of layers and beading detail. If you only need the length shortening I can't imagine it would cost too much.

• Curlysuzie
    Beginner September 2014
    Curlysuzie ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying £45 for the lady to pull it in at the boobs (fits everywhere else), turn it up ever so slightly at the front (so it doesn't catch on the carpet, put a hook and eye at the back to bustle it up for the evening and have the jacket altered at the top as it sits too high on my neck. I thought it would be more than that tbh!

The lady is in Belper, Derbyshire so about 40mins from middle of Nottingham... Her name is Kay Hobson if you want to contact her. She made princess Anne's dress when Peter was christened!!

• SecretlyEloped
    Beginner May 2014
    SecretlyEloped ·
    • Hide content

I went to a bridal seamstress recommended by my dress shop, cost £100 to take up the hem (lace).

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Lindas Tayloring Ransome Business Park

****@************************.**.**

She is not doing anything much structural to my dress - changing something to do with the zip function and just doing some light beeding work on the dress as few beads had come off shes also adding something blue in one of the under skirts also my hoop was far too short so shes adding 12 inches of material there - shes only charging £25!!

She is a lovely lady - so honest too i put my dress on thinking i needed something taken from the bottom, but instead of taking the work and just faffing about ever so slightly at the bottom she told me not to as the hoop would kick it up fine Smiley smile

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

The shop I bought my dress from did my alterations for me. I only had the length taken up and it cost £40

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    LucyLastic ·
    • Hide content

I had the dress shortened, shoulders brought up & a bustle added - it cost me £125 from the shop where I brought the dress.

I am in Essex x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics