Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E

Alterations

ExpensiveYellowDecor51468, 5 of March of 2020 at 18:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

Hi I am trying to clear something up . A bridal boutique a friend of mine used wouldn't let her take her dress

To be altered elsewhere . The owner insisted the dress couldn't be taken away unless her

Seamstress altered it she also insisted that all alterations are paid by cash only .

She charged my freind £60.00 to stitch in some bridal cups plus £50 for the cups

Any thoughts would be appreciated . Is the owner allowed to do this

4 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 19 of March of 2020 at 10:47
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I know a lot of bridal boutiques do this - the reasoning I've been given is that if the alterations are done poorly elsewhere but people are told the dress came from X boutique, it will reflect badly on the boutique.

It really should be stated up front if you must get the alterations done in house though. The place I bought my dress said you are welcome to take it to be altered elsewhere, but they also do it in house.

Asking for alterations to be paid in cash only does sound dodgy though - makes me wonder if they are using trafficked/illegal workers to do the alterations.

Has the work been done satisfactorily?

• E
    ExpensiveYellowDecor51468 ·
    • Hide content

The work was fine it was the fact that she wanted a friend to do the alterations it but the owner wouldn't let her have the dress even though she had paid for it .

I think this is wrong if you have bought the dress you should be able o do what you want with it

• R
    • Hide content

If it wasn't stated at the time of purchase that all alterations had to be done in-house, then your friend could have fought it. But most shops that have this policy do have something in the small print, just maybe not that easy to find!

• D
    Missouri
    Dany ·
    • Hide content

That is not good, any alterations from the one who created it should be charged free.

• R
    • Hide content

It's standard practice to charge for alterations to the dresses. I've not seen a bridal boutique yet that hasn't made it clear that alterations are not included in the cost of the dress. One person might only need the hem taken up (or no alterations at all) while someone else might need extensive alterations, so it's only fair that they are charged separately.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics