Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BrideintheToon
Beginner September 2017

Altering a dress 2 sizes?

BrideintheToon, 27 of November of 2016 at 23:25 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hello fellow brides to be!

I had an appointment at a bridal shop at the weekend and found the dress I want - this Essense of Australia one -

https://www.essensedesigns.com/essense-of-australia/wedding-dresses/d1790/

In the bridal shop it's £1199, however I found the same dress on eBay for £550. Problem is it was a size 14 and in the shop they said I would need a 10.

I've enquired with a couple of seamstresses to see what they think but do any of you guys have experience of altering a dress by about 2 sizes? Were you happy with results and how much did it cost roughly?

4 replies

Latest activity by BrideintheToon, 30 of November of 2016 at 00:01
  • T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Anyone who has bought an ex sample like myself, and a few other brides on here know it's not difficult, yes alterations will be more expensive, but you're saving yourself more than what the alterations will cost.

My ex sample was bought at a bridal store, size 12, I am a size 8. The alterations were done in the bridal shop which included cleaning before, which bumped it up, added to that I had straps sewn on and cups inserted instead of wearing a bra, all these came to £185. I was extremely happy with the seamstress, her work and the dress....not so much the shop.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

That's a really pretty dress Smiley smile

I can't see any reason that you couldn't get it altered to fit you. Most Wedding Dresses can be taken in up to 3 sizes.

HOWEVER

You need to check with the seller what alterations have already been made to the dress. If she's already had it taken in, things will be more complicated as you won't have as much seam allowance to work with.

You also need to check the length of her dress in case she had it shortened, or in case she's lots taller than you. For example, I had to order my dress in extra length (61") to ensure it wasn't too short (I'm 5'10"). If I then sold that to someone who was, say, 5'5" then they'd have loads of extra material that needed to be removed, which would be expensive.

Whilst I think you will probably be ok, you just need to make sure that the cost of alterations won't make the dress almost as expensive as buying it new.

Good luck Smiley smile

xxx

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful dress! I have dress envy.

I was told that my dress could be altered up to two size - it's similar in shape but with a corset back. Good point to check that it hasn't already been altered at all, but otherwise I'd assume any decent seamstress should be able to help. I guess the lace bit might be the biggest challenge but I have no technical knowledge to back this up!

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my dress taken in quite a bit. I've ordered it in a size 22 to accommodate my gigantic bust but the rest of me is about a 14. I'm also still losing weight so it might need to come in considerably.

The point of my rambling is that it might depend where the alterations are being done as well - that lace at the back might prove tricky. You might have problems around the bust as well if the previous owner has had it altered.

If the seller is decent ask them about any alterations. Also ask if they would be willing to get a seamstress to look at it before you buy it and let you know if it's going to be possible.

• BrideintheToon
    Beginner September 2017
    BrideintheToon ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone Smiley smile

I've had mixed messages from the seamstresses I've asked, with one saying that it could be tricky to get the proportions of the bodice right, so I'm still undecided right now.

My mum has offered to help me buy a new one but it's crazy how much they cost new and I dunno if I can face spending that much on something I'll wear for a day! That said, I also don't want to end up with something that looks a bit odd due to being altered too much :-/

That is a good point about asking about previous alterations thank you. I'm 5 foot 3 so height will probably be ok but I didn't really think about them having potentially previously taken it in.

Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics