Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2016

Altering Adult Dress for Child??

LaLaLisa2016, 1 of October of 2015 at 11:54 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post.. hope you don't mind me going straight in with questions! lol

I really want all my Bridesmaids to be in the same dresses but my two little sisters will only be 12 & 9...I've found some gorgeous dresses I love from Lindybop that are only 29.99.

If I was to get them altered, could I buy two size 8s? Or would you buy in the biggest size (26) and alter these?

Or would neither of these options work?

Thanks

Lisa

7 replies

Latest activity by MrsLBtoB, 2 of October of 2015 at 17:00
  • L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I know .. Nothing... But I know when I was 12 I wore adult clothes, I wonder if the 12 year old would fit into an 8 anyway? (confession.. I wore size 14 at 14!! Whoops)

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I know nothing either but I agree try the size 8 on the 12 year old. As for the younger one I reckon does the dress have booby darts? As she won't need them so maybe a big size would be better as can make the top out of the middle section where there are no darts? I'm a complete non sewer tho lol.

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    LaLaLisa2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies!! I didn't even think about the 'boobie darts' lol..

These are the dresses... http://www.lindybop.co.uk/search/iris

I'm having two different colours and the 8 is sold out in one so looks like I'll have to get a bigger size for the youngest anyway... might order them all but leAve hers out til they are delivered and I can have a proper look..

I don't mind paying for a seamstress what with them being so cheap.. I'm having 8 bridesmaids so have saved loads of money liking these dresses.. lol.

xx

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Before buying why not take her to a shop and try on some sizes and see what fits. Obviously everywhere is a little bit different but even if you can get a rough idea of her size and go from there.

Most of the supermarkets do clothes so even just to nip in there if it's a hassle to get into town?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I love those dresses and think it's a style that will suit all the ages.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

It depends on their size. I worked at Gap, and the biggest size in GapKids was about the same size as an XS in Gap. As adult sizes get smaller, the proportions change as well - hems/bodies are shorter.

If the site has a size chart then I'd measure the girls and see how far off they are. I'd buy the smallest size closest to their measurements.

• UnionJackDream
    Beginner March 2016
    UnionJackDream ·
    • Hide content

I have bought my bridesmaid dresses from there too! Order 2 adults and I have 2x13yr olds but they are both really small, the style I wanted they had in a size 6, hoping it will just need small amounts of adjustments.

good luck xx

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

My little sister will be 13 when we get married next May and she has changed so much since we paid a deposit for the BM dresses in May. She's got taller and developed more curves etc.

The lady in the shop is not actually ordering the BM dresses until Christmas due to her changing shape so we have to take them to get measured again so my advice if you buy them now (depending on how far away your wedding is) would be to buy bigger as you can take as much in/off as you need. If its too small even the best seamstresses cant magic up extra material Smiley smile

Love the dresses though

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics