Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner June 2015

Altering Lace Dress

Willow_Hann, 31 of January of 2015 at 21:36 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi ladies hoping you can help me out please?

I managed to find my dream dress off the peg as it was just being discontinued when I came across it so I couldn't order it made to measure. It's Justin Alexander 8713 if you want a peek. Only issue is that the hemline is about 3 inches too long. Does anyone have any experience of having a full lace dress altered? Mine has Alencon lace which are separate pieces of lace sewn onto a mesh base layer so I'm hoping the seamstress will be able to take those bits off and reposition once shortened? Just really worried that I could end up losing the lovely scalloped edge and heavy lace detail on to the bottom? Anyone have any idea of how much it costs too as I realise there is a lot of work for the seamstress when lace is involved!!

Thanks

Jen

5 replies

Latest activity by lindabelle66, 1 of February of 2015 at 15:56
  • L
    Beginner March 2015
    leastone ·
    • Hide content

I went for alterations today. My dress is Maggie Sottero Violet and has lace along the edge too. For the dress to be taken in on the bust and up it cost me £252!

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Leastone, I'd get some more quotes for that. Are you in London? If so I guess prices may be higher but that is a lot. Mine is the Maggie sottero Emma, almost identical at the bottom. I have paid 150 for it to be taken up around 5 inches, a bustle put in and sides taking in. I went to another seamstress first who I wasn't happy with who quoted 140. They will take off the lace detail, move up and add back on as with the scalloped edge as Op was saying. I'm really happy with the alterations they are doing now. It was very awkward going any getting my dress back from the original seamstress but so glad I did.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Jen don't worry you won't lose the detail, just find someone good to do the work and be clear about what you want x

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Sorry last post was meant to be for willow hann not Jen!

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I have exactly the same issue with my dress, and im having the train removed too.

Apparently the lace around the edge gets unpicked and then the lace is cut to the correct length before the edging is reattached. I think someone else has already said this, but to put your mind at rest the alterations lady at my Bridal shop has said the same thing

linda

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics