Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner December 2013

Alternative to a Wedding Dress?

animalmad, 12 of June of 2013 at 08:31 Posted on Planning 0 33

Hi,

Wedding date is set for 21st December 2013, so an evening winter wedding..........but I'm really not sure I want to go with a wedding dress as such, I keep thinking that it's a lot of money to spend on something that won't get worn again ? so please, bearing in mind I'm 45 yrs old, can I have your suggestions for alternatives?

If you're not wearing a wedding dress yourself, would you consider this kind of dress;

https://www.phase-eight.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-P8-UK-Site/en/Product-Show?pid=201890690

Thank you x

33 replies

Latest activity by Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+, 15 of June of 2013 at 11:01
  • Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

I think that dress is beautiful! Especially for a winter wedding when you might expect warmer colours (and warmer clothes too!)

You definitely shouldn't feel bound to a wedding dress. Lots of people marry in high street dresses or something a little bit different. Websites like off-beat brides (a bit american) and rock and roll bride often feature 'real weddings' with weding dress alternatives. Coast has some beautiful dresses - they're out of my price budget for a regular 'going out' dress but substantially cheaper than a wedding dress!

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

What annoys me is, the same dress, in Ivory colours, with "wedding dress" in the description, is £295............................how does that happen?! lol

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to be wearing a full on 'wedding dress' from a bridal store, they seem very expensive and formal - not very me. Also the whole bridal shop experience sounds pretty ghastly from reading threads on here. ?

So, I am on the look out for a high street dress - I'm thinking BHLDN, Phase Eight, Ted Baker, Project D, Coast, John Lewis, J Crew - or a second hand/outlet designer evening gown - I would absolutely love a Temperley London dress if I can find one in budget. The Outnet is a good place to look, if only for inspiration!

The Phase Eight dress you have linked to is lovely.

• L
    Beginner August 2013
    Lisel ·
    • Hide content

Sadly as soon as you say wedding the price seems to double ? That dress is lovely though and much cheaper than a traditional wedding dress my dress is from coast (so I maybe biased here) who do some nice dresses as do do monsoon not in their wedding range. As red kite said they tend to be a bit more expensive than regular going out dresses (for me anyway) but cheaper then wedding dresses. Also there are LOTS available on Ebay both second hand and brand new (with the tags still on) if you don't mind spending the time trawling through for them. I got mine for £14.75 with postage and I can wear it again bargain of the wedding I think!

Also bridesmaids dresses are considerably cheaper than wedding dresses and come in a range of colours up to and including white if you want to stay traditional. Personally I think the coloured dresses are lovely still not sure how I ended up with ivory, but I do like my dress.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I have seen plenty of "non" wedding dresses. There is no such thing - its a wedding dress if you wear it to your wedding, and once you add a hair piece or even a veil and a bouquet -shoes the whole package will look fantastic. I have some here for you to give you an idea of real life weddings, also just the fact that you are standing next to your man who is wedding'nd up adds to your dress also.

The first one has a facinator and also a veil.The last one burgendy was made for her which could be another option if you canot find what you want, may not be any cheeper but could be used again, also the last one was a Christmas time wedding so the colour worked well.

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

This was my mum's wedding dress two years ago and she looked beautiful Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I really like the Phase eight dress you have linked to, and would wear something similar to a winter wedding....which is the problem I think. It is what a guest would wear. A wedding is a big deal: you are making a big commitment and by having a wedding are choosing to make that commitment in front of others. I think that you need to stand out a bit more than in the blue dress (although it is lovely).

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

I think this is the worry/problem that I have? OTOH, I don't like to stand out, be centre of attention! OK, maybe I can wear it to my Sister's wedding in October lol!

I will keep on looking on the suggested sites ?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

So, when you walk down the aisle to your OH on your wedding day, do you want him to look at you as if to say 'you look lovely, take my arm and lets go out' or do you want him to look at you as if he is so mesmerised that his heart has stopped? It's not about being the centre of attention, just about knocking his socks off.

Neither is the right answer (only you will know) but decide on the reaction you want and pick based on that....

p.s. I'm 45 too ?

• H
    hengid ·
    • Hide content

Coast has some beautiful dresses - they're out of my price budget for a regular 'going out' dress but substantially cheaper than a wedding dress!

John Lewis
  • A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

He looks at me like this all the time anyway lol

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

It is actually possible to look nice in a non-wedding dress you know! I am sure Mr Foo will think I look lovely whatever I wear.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well then you can save yourself a fortune and turn up in your pyjamas ?

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-embellished-elspeth-wedding-dress-ivory/p319456

This is the "wedding" dress I might have chosen

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have a wedding dress. I got mine from House of Fraser, £140 off the peg. It was gorgeous.

• M
    Beginner December 2013
    MrsSpongeBobTB ·
    • Hide content

Wear whatever makes you feel special and fabulous. I originally bought a proper long champagne glitzy dress with full train, put it on and decided it was too much. I then saw this and fell in love.http://www.berketexbride.com/Products/MC01118/kelly

Its more me and I will be teaming it up with these shoes as these suit my quirky style /. I'm 42 and my wedding is on 28th December. I will be wearing a long fur ivory cape as well

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I haven't gone for a full on wedding dress either. At nearly 37 when I get married with 3 children it just didn't seem "necessary". I looked at the phase eight dresses as well as other stores but eventually opted for a bridesmaids dress in ivory for fear of, as other people have mentioned, guests turning up in the same dress.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

Well thank you for all your comments ideas ?

The thing is, I don't see it as a wedding, it's a marriage ceremony followed by a really lovely sit down meal, lots of wine ? with our immediate family, we're not having any more than 15-20 guests, it's a late afternoon ceremony @ 5p.m and I begrudge spending lots of money on a dress that will never be worn again, and yet..........there's that little girly part of me that does want to get dressed up, hair done etc as I know I won't get the chance to do it again, well hopefully not! ?

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

This was mine. £140. Any excuse to flash it. And I am in my 40s too.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And you look every inch a bride in it ? ........I'm not gonna look like a bride in Sapphire Blue lol x

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

That second phase eight dress you've flashed is gorgeous!

I can completely understand you not wanting to go down the traditional route and as nice as the navy dress is personally I don't think its quite special enough if you see what I mean.

I would also worry about a guest turning up in it too!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

That second phase eight dress you've flashed is gorgeous!

I can completely understand you not wanting to go down the traditional route and as nice as the navy dress is personally I don't think its quite special enough if you see what I mean.

I would also worry about a guest turning up in it too!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I was 45 when I got married, almost 2 years ago. We had lots of vintage retro things at our wedding. I designed my dress and had it made.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lovely picture LoveSka :-)

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Haven't booked anywhere but found a dress by Red Herring from Debenham's. Cost less than £40 with a discount.

I've tried a few traditional dresses on since but they haven't felt right.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad I asked the original Q...........

I think I've changed my mine regarding a non-wedding dress, I'm going to look out for something rather more special.......as had been said, I'd look more like a guest than the bride in the original dress link posted and we can't have that lol ?

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

I struggled to find a dress as its just the two of us getting married in Greece and I didn't want a heavy formal gown. First and only bridal shop I went to I had a panic attack and walked out. I didn't want off the peg so instead I bought a dress off Ebay, brand new with tags which was bought as a second dress to wear in the evening which she never wore. I am having it altered slightly so it's custom made to fit me and adding some pearls as I will be wearing my belated mums pearl engagement ring.

Therefore i feel it isn't quite off the peg but isn't a wedding dress either. Cost me £40 including delivery and its 100% silk. Have a look there are loads of new dresses on there at reasonable prices and you can try them on in the comfort of your own home.

As long as you feel special in your dress and comfortable and it's 'you' that's all that matters.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

Haha! I think I'm heading in the same direction with where money will now get spent compared to 3 weeks ago!

Well she looks lovely, & I'd have never guessed about being pregnant!

Now to wait for the 20% discount that Phase Eight were offering a few weeks back lol

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I tried on this dress! Agree it's lovely!

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My god, this is stunning. Good job I am already married or I would have had the serious hump I hadn't seen this dress before buying the one I bougth. You look AMAZING.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

Well fate has played it's hand, the blue dress was a bit frumpy, so it's been returned lol off to look round the shops now for something more suitable

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics