Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2015

Alternative to bunting?

SunnyGreenDecor113, 28 of August of 2014 at 13:13 Posted on Planning 0 6

My H2B has decided that bunting is not in his vision for our wedding (keen for him to have as much input as possible but this one has put a bit of a 'spoke in the works'!). Does anyone have any other ideas of how we could decorate our marquee evening reception venue without breaking the budget? I have a feeling that pom poms are also going to be out ... we're having an Aussie style BBQ so the evening reception will be quite a relaxed afffair.

6 replies

Latest activity by Sazzle24, 28 of August of 2014 at 21:46
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Ribbons? Chinese lanterns? paper cranes? paper doves? fabric swags?

we attended a circus themed reception last year where they had used maybe only six coloured sails across the marquee for a big top effect and then wrapped the poles with strips of tickets to make them stripy. It sounds odd but looked really pretty.

• ToBeMrsHouse
    Beginner August 2014
    ToBeMrsHouse ·
    • Hide content

We held our reception on a wide-beam canal boat and I was considering bunting, although my mum didn't like the idea. I saw a pic of a previous wedding at the same venue which had tied three white balloons to each window, and I'm not usually a fan of balloons for weddings (a bit children's party) but it looked really nice in the photo.

In the end I ended up buying 50m of oversized ivory satin ribbon and making oversized bows two days before the wedding. We put them between each window and it looked quite nice.

Perhaps consider ribbon - you could have it in your wedding colour?

I also saw a nice touch on Four Weddings where a bride had made a thousand origami cranes and hung them from the ceiling. I think it was meant to be lucky or something, but it looked really nice.

• ToBeMrsHouse
    Beginner August 2014
    ToBeMrsHouse ·
    • Hide content

Here are our bows. The ribbon was 10cm wide. maybe even wider might be nice.

• L
    Beginner July 2015
    lauren_t ·
    • Hide content

We are having these. not expensive and have a lot of impact i think

www.thehanginglanterncompany.co.uk

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    SunnyGreenDecor113 ·
    • Hide content

MOMB - I love the sail idea! We're thinking of quite a bright colour scheme for the evening so that would be a really nice way to incorporate it. I've seen some really cute bird cut-outs that were being used slotted onto wine glasses with guest names on so we could have some hanging too!

ToBeMrsHouse - Your wedding looks gorgeous! The bow idea is so lovely and really suits your venue ? might have to check out colours and widths of ribbons!

lauren_t - The lanterns are so pretty, are you planning to hang them yourself? Got a bit carried away browsing - there are so many options!

Thanks so much - have been mulling this over for a few days and am very glad I bit the bullet and asked for advice!!

• L
    Beginner July 2015
    lauren_t ·
    • Hide content

Yes doing it ourselves! Email the wedding team they are fab.

I told them the size of the room the look I was going for and what colours and they suggest number of lanterns and sizes and give you instructions on how to hang.

We are getting married in a hotel and we are using the magnetic hooks that they sell which just stick onto the ceiling struts.

We are using the button lights that go with them which last for 36 hours so can turn them on when putting them up and they will last through the reception!

If its marquee or barn you just use fishing wire and tie them on!

Sounds like I work for them after that haha I dont, just love the idea!!

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

Fairy lights. You can get a decent set from b and m bargains for £5 a set. That's not even battery powered which would be even cheaper. Looks so pretty and classy xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics