Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

emjjarvy
Beginner September 2014

Alternative to canapes??

emjjarvy, 15 of April of 2014 at 11:41 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello! Some advice / ideas please!!

We are heading to our venue this weekend (in SW France) and have a menu/wine tasting booked amongst other things! CANNOT WAIT!!!! Will likely do a mega flash when I'm back so prepare yourselves!

I definitely want to serve something with the reception drinks after the cerermony as there will be quite a gap between that and the wedding breakfast, but canapés seem a bit too fancy for us and really expensive for what you get (7.50Euros for 4), although I do appreciate they take a lot of prep work. The 4 we have chosen to taste are Fois Gras crostini, smoked salmon belini, mini quiche (v option) and shredded sweet and sour duck wrap.

As it is a la francais I had the idea of crepes but we thought this would be perhaps a bit messy and tricky for people to eat? Any other ideas would be great, The venue is fab and willing to try different things.

For info we will be having a cheese tower with cooked meats and bread for the evening food, along with the wedding cake, so bread and cheese isn't really an option unless we do something else for the evening buffet!!!

Thanks Smiley smile

8 replies

Latest activity by emjjarvy, 15 of April of 2014 at 12:29
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Don;t really have any alternative suggestions I'm afraid just a couple of observations.

Fois Gras - be sure you know your guests - a lot of people are offended by it on ethical grounds, but it is yummy.. You can get more ethically produced Fois Gras which might help.

Crepes would be very messy I think. As a guest - trying to eat a crepe, balance a drink, camera etc - would I end up wearing it? Probably Smiley winking Also might a bit too filling before your main meal. Canapes are a light bite to put you on. Crepes for desert might be fantastic though.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We just had crisps, nuts and olives with our drinks. Just a little something to take the edge off any hunger.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Depending on how hungry you think folks will get, you could always do what a lot of bars do and simply serve olives and nuts? They go well with wine, have a suitably continental (albeit Spanish/ Greek/ Italian!) feel and will fill a little hole until the wedding breakfast.

Alternatively, is there a local delicacy in that particular bit of SW France? Might give people a flavour of the area (no pun intended) and will hopefully be easy to prepare if the locals make it all the time?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Only two unhelpful comments:

1. Fois gras really upsets me. People might be shovelling it in and then regret it when realising what it is?

2. WE'RE DOING OUR TRIP TO SPAIN IN 2 WEEKS for the same reasons (menu tasting, meet the tog, MU trials) ... SO excited! I'm so jealous you get to go first! Please come back and tell us all about it - and flash lots! I'd really like to see how you're doing it in France compared to ours in Spain!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't think 7.5 Euros for four canapes is massively expensive.

I agree with pammy re: foie gras, not just those who won't eat it but also those who feel uncomfortable being anywhere that serves it. I think it would be a brave choice and this veggie would be pretty horrifed ? but this veggie has been known to leave restaurants when spying it on the menu

We had grilled beef skewer/tempura prawn/Thai chicken breast/Pea and coriander falafel.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Could you do stuffed olives, pate on small slices of french crusty bread etc? Still small nibbles but easier to put together than canapes?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

You could do tapenade on the crostini rather than fois gras - that then gives your veggies two options as well as non veggie people likeing them of course.

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your comments so far! I think fois gras probably should be swapped with something else! Will ask what else they can do, I am sure olive tapenade would be an option.

I think I'm over thinking it and wanting something a bit different when it isn't necessary! My OHs family are quite big eaters so no worry of any food going to waste!

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay!!!! I honestly cannot wait! We are meeting the florist and celebrant and I'm having hair and make up trials too Smiley smile We also get to have a proper look around all of the cottages on site so we can decide who is staying where!! Had a minor panic last night as we couldn't find our passports. OH had put them in the inside pocket of his ski jacket for safe keeping.... needless to say I will be looking after the passports on this trip!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics