Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2017

Alternative to speech?

Soon2b_30, 25 of April of 2016 at 21:54 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi. I'm new here and hoping for some creative ideas!

Our best man can't give a speech at our wedding as he's just too nervous. It's a way off yet and he's already worrying about it. This doesn't matter to either of us as we would prefer him to enjoy himself and to help with all the other best man duties. He is h2b's best friend and we don't want anyone else for that role.

We told him not to worry and we will think of an alternative idea, something a bit creative, that he can do instead or be involved in. But what!?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please don't suggest he takes a calming pill or rehearses etc as the speech is a definite no-no.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thank x x

10 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 26 of April of 2016 at 18:32
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

What about him doing a quick video with a few funny anecdotes?

He could oversee a "sand ceremony" where you put sand into a jar, or lighting of a unity candle.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

We arent having speaches for this reason (seems cruel to ask someone to stand up infront of your family and talk about you, most normal people would panic) aswell as the fact they never actually go right (people dont plan or panic or are drunk or copy of the internet or babble on 'emotionally' but nonsensically) and in general guests dont care (I can only remember 1 speach from 1 wedding - it was the only passable one and was still cheesy as hell and obviously pulled off the internet)

does he have any hobbies or skills he can show case that hes ok with doing in public... for instance if he can play guitar he could play while you enter etc...

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

My H2B is exactly the same- he will just stand up and say thanks for coming. He wouldn't gush about how much he loves me and how it's the best day of his life in private, let alone in a room full of people- I'd rather he was comfortable and not faking it!

Perhaps your best man could write you both a speech or a letter to read after the wedding?

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of a video. He could do something slightly different from a traditional speech so that it doesn't make it obvious that he isn't doing a speech because he is nervous. He could be filmed interviewing some of your other friends so that they can give their embarrassing / funny stories of both of you? Or if he is whizzy with a computer could perhaps make a film trailer or something similar that covers everything that he would like to say without standing up infront of people?x

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

I love the video idea. Depends of course if you can have a projector at your venue! It could be a combination of old home movies from when you were kids, current videos (if you have any!) or stuff you've done together, photos, and well-wishes and funny stories from your friends and family. If he's too nervous to do a speech, he might be better at being the main narrator on a video as at least he can do it over and over if it doesn't go well!

• S
    Beginner October 2017
    Soon2b_30 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your ideas!

I too love the video idea. I think opens up all sorts of options, but unfortunately we won't have the facilities on the day to pull it off Smiley sad

I have read somewhere today that a best man put together a fun quiz instead and he coordinated it all so still felt really involved. There were prizes and it got everyone talking and working together. It was only short and while the other speeches were taking place he was working out the winner which the groom announced. Handing out the prizes finished it all off. I like this idea. I think as long as it's fun and not too long then it could be a winner?

• S
    Beginner October 2017
    Soon2b_30 ·
    • Hide content

Oh great idea!

I've seen the shoe game before too and looks hilarious! Yes that is definitely going on the list. I like fun and silly things to keep everyone interested. Thank you CliftonBride

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

The quiz or shoe game sound like a fab idea!

If you can't show a video how about a little booklet? He could include some funny photos and stories so your guests can read during dinner, or they could be handed out after the rest of the speeches for people to look at during the lull between wedding breakfast and evening reception?

Or he could do both! x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

And if you really want the speach any other of oh friends or family could do it. Who cares it's traditionally the best man.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics