Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Voiceoftruth
Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire

Alternative to the first dance

Voiceoftruth, 5 of June of 2021 at 17:09 Posted on Planning 1 8

So... we don’t dance. I would go as far as saying that I am physically incapable of dancing, it just doesn’t work! We aren’t having dancing at our wedding, although there will be music and space for any guests who decide they fancy a dance.

But my mum has said, and many others agree, that there should be a first ‘something’. I just can’t think of what. We’re not people who want to be the centre of attention, so already the wedding is at the edge of my comfort zone...

I’ve googled and seen the usual suggestions, but none of them seem right for us. Any suggestions on what we could do in front of our guests that isn’t really embarrassing, cringey or impossible!?

8 replies

Latest activity by Nathalie, 7 of June of 2021 at 13:27
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

There is absolutely no need to do a 'first' anything! I've been to a few weddings where there was just a meal and opportunity to chill out and catch up with people after.

Your guests are there to support you on your special day - you're not obliged to act like a pair of performing seals to entertain them! And I'm sure your guests would rather a little extra time to chat to you and to each other than stand around watching you do a first 'something'!

• C
    Curious June 2022 West Midlands
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I understand totally, we dont want a first dance or cut the cake but under pressure that we have to do something to regroup everyone for a dance etc as our venue is big, I was thinking we may do a Mr & Mrs game instead when you sit on chairs back to back and have one shoe of you and your husband and get ask questions, my friend did this and went down so well Xx
  • C
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Yet this is the centre of attention..other thing we may do is get our parents to cut a cake as they will be married 50 yrs the month before as then not too much about us...I just think by this point in the evening we would of had a few drinks and not care x
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, there are so many traditions that we won’t be using but I agree that bringing everyone’s together at various points of the reception is important. We will happily cut our cake (which is about as non-traditional a cake as you can get, but is perfectly ‘us’)... and if it were the right activity, I think by that point I could do something that meant all eyes were on us briefly. I mean, I am a teacher and spend all day every day praying about in front of an audience, so it shouldn’t be competely impossible. Just not dancing!!

• C
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Xx Good luck with the planing
  • Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    We're not having a first dance, or toast, or speeches. It sounds silly given we're having a whole wedding but we don't like to be the centre of attention lol. Don't feel obliged to do anything you don't want xx
  • G
    Beginner October 2027 Tyne & Wear
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is me and my partner, no speeches, bridesmaids or groomsmen, no first dance. X
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    Another one here for no cake, speeches, first dance - dislike all of them! But as our dancing is in a different room to the meal our band have recommended we have something that will move the crowd from one room to the other. As my partner’s Jewish possibly we’ll do something in that tradition- otherwise I’m thinking of putting the focus on one of my brides-men, as it’ll be his birthday and he missed celebrating the last two (one of which was a big one) due to covid 😅

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics