Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FutureMrsRon
Beginner February 2012

Alternative to top table

FutureMrsRon, 25 February, 2011 at 18:08 Posted on Planning 0 4

I've been thinking about the top table, and it's not because we have any bizarre family squabbles/hatred etc etc but whenever I've been to a wedding, the guests all sit round big round tables and have a right laugh and the main people (B, G etc) sit in a big long line with everyone gawking at them as they eat and they can only really chat to whoever's next to them.

I don't really want this. I'm thinking about either getting a round table for be and OH, my parents, his parents, CBM and his BM. But CBM's husband won't know anyone else and isn't very social - I do not want him at my table so that's not really an option.

I suggested a sweetheart table to OH - he wasn't really that keen but he did like the idea that our parents could then 'host' their own tables - they seem to be very excited at the thought of their children getting married and the bragging they'll get to do on the day as important people lol

I'm now thinking it would be just ace if we were sat on a table with our friends, parents had their own tables and everyone was just scattered around. I see my parents all the time, some of my friends I only see once a year and I'd rather spend my time with them to be honest!

Any suggestions? Or should I just suck it up and sit on a round table with the parents and feel like I'm a kid again lol

4 replies

Latest activity by pandorasbox, 25 February, 2011 at 18:39
  • SoonToBeMrsH
    Beginner January 2012
    SoonToBeMrsH ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea but I think the top table is special and I know my mum and MOG is looking forward to sitting on a top table.

How about having long rectangular tables coming off the top table? That way you can see down the tables and speak to people, you're not as far away and you could put the bridal party on the seats closest to the top table?

Just an idea?!

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

It's a good idea but our room is long and narrow - we'd only really be able to have one table coming off from ours so it wouldn't really work.

I'll mull it over with OH - we're off to the venue again in May (I know, I'm always worrying about things far too much in advance!) and I'm taking my camera and my tape measure!!! I will have a perfectly planned seating plan eventually.......

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

If you're both happy with it then I think it sounds a lovely idea. It's your wedding, you need to enjoy it.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I am thinking I will hate being on display to everyone too! Bridesman and partner already said they would rather be sat together, and best man is also v shy so prob will not like being at a top table. I was thinking about either going for just me and OH on sweetheart table, but knowing my mum she will want in on the action! So I am thinking a shorter 'long' table with just mum, me, OH, OH dad, and everyone else around us on 6 large round tables. Could something like this work for you?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics