Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner

Alternative to traditional bridesmaids

RomanticBrownDiamonds401, 29 of August of 2022 at 20:10 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 18
Hey,

So my long term partner and I are just beginning to plan a small wedding, (c60 guests). Over half of that is family, so of the remaining 20 or so guests, 5 of them I would chose to be bridesmaids... which feels too many. What's an alternative way I could involve these women somehow on the day, making it feel we are all 'together' without them all being bridesmaids per- se?

Any ideas appreciated!! TIA x

18 replies

Latest activity by Cassy, 26 of September of 2022 at 06:10
  • Danielle
    Curious July 2023 Middlesex
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    You could have some of them do readings at the wedding?
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a 50 person wedding and there are 6 people in my non-traditional wedding party!

Mine is a mixed gender party so I've basically used the traditional bridal titles and the kind of the groom side titles too (groom is calling his guys groomsmen to differentiate between who's side the guys are on) so the titles I've used are: MOH (GBF), two bridesmaids, officiant (effectively my best man who is performing the ceremony), two ushers (who will emcee). Effectively this means I have 3 with a more traditional bridesmaid role and 3 with a less traditional but equally important roles.

Which is to say - ask yourself why 5 is too much? You can have any number you like, it doesn't need to be a percentage of your guests or anything. If you want all 5 and struggle to choose between them, have all 5! If for you yourself, you'd rather have say 3, I'd move anyone like a FSIL either over to your future spouse's side if they wants to include them or ask them to do a reading (as they're not your person if you know what I mean), or think about personalities and what might suit people best (e.g. would someone make a great emcee or do a hilarious reading/speech?). Importantly, if you're wanting to make all 5 feel equally important, I'd say to make sure they each have some sort of special outfit as this really helps lift them from "guest with a chore" to "honoured friend" and that they all feel involved in any Team Bride activities Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticBrownDiamonds401 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oooo I love this idea of having slightly different, but also important roles.

It's not that 5 is too many, it's more that it would mean of all the 'non- family guests' all the women would be in the bridal party. Not sure it that's weird/ how it would work on the day🤔.
    Thanks for your ideas xx
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think that's weird at all! If they're all important to you then it makes sense that they're all your bridesmaids Smiley smile

In terms of how it works on the day, that's entirely up to you, it can be as simple as them walking down the aisle in a dress in your colour scheme or they can have all sorts or roles and responsibilities! Every wedding is different and the best ones, in my opinion, are the ones that feel most personal and 'right' for the individuals getting married Smiley heart

• R
    Beginner August 2023 Herefordshire
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya!

I think if you feel they are important then go for it! I'm having 6 bridesmaids because all of them have played a significant part in my life ! There are no rules, you do you and have your day as you wish! 💜
  • T
    Beginner April 2024 North London
    Tanyel ·
    • Hide content
    I have massive turkish family and what I have found is to give everyone a job. Nothing that will ruin their day by having too much responsibility. We will be having people take photos with disposable cameras and giving each of them a different subject. One cousin in taking photos of people dancing, one is taking the decor, one is focusing on the groom and so on. Another way I have found it easier to incorporate them is to have them in similar styles to the bridesmaids dresses. My bridesmades are copper/ burnt orange with gold accessories so I would have them stay along the lines of autumnal/neutral colours with gold accents just for a sense of inclusivity.
  • A
    Beginner August 2023 Lincolnshire
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    Hi
    I am having 7 bridesmaids because everyone one of them is very special in my life and it was important for me that they all were involved. Some people have commented on the large number but I decided that at the end of the day, it is up to me and it is what I wanted! Smiley smile
  • Lucy
    Savvy September 2022 Hampshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    If you want all 5 as bridesmaids then go for it and don’t worry what percentage of female friends that is. However as an alternative you could get them to do readings or be your witnesses. I wanted to include my brother in the bridal party but he doesn’t like the attention so is just going to be our witness when we sign the register
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think having 5 guests out of 60 in the wedding party is excessive. Especially as they can sit down as soon as they have accompanied you into the ceremony.

If you don't want all 5 though, I suggest you have one do a reading and maybe another be a witness. You could even mix things up and ask one to do a 'best friend of the bride' speech!

Or just have them get ready with you on the day but not wear matching dresses and attend you into the ceremony.

• Hannah
    Beginner January 2023 South East London
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    So I’m not having bridesmaids much to the chagrin and raised eyebrows of others (the instruction of no hen do hasn’t helped but seriously who know weddings were so political…!! 😂) I’ve got one friend with me on the morning (no sleepover fuss) and the other two I’ve asked to be joint Master of Ceremonies as I know they’ll have fun with it. My friends have involved other gals in their weddings with readings and speeches etc.
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    Hey

Do you have neices and nephews?
    Rather than choosing a bridal party of sisters and friends . I've decided to have my teenage neices as bridesmaids and my own kids and other neices and nephews as flowers girls and page boys.
    I can't wait to see them all dressed up 🙂
    I'm having one of my brother's and future sister in law doing readings. My future husband is having his brothers as groomsmen.
  • R
    Beginner
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha you've set the cat amongst the pigeons!! I love the master of ceremonies idea actually, we were just wondering who might do ours so that's definitely something for me to consider! Thank you!
  • R
    Beginner
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So I've got 2 children, my friend suggested maybe just having them, one flower girl and one page boy, and actually that feels quite a good idea!!
  • R
    Beginner
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh the witnessing is a nice idea too. It's hard to decide isn't it?!
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds perfect to me 🥰
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did this. We got married in July and I had my two teenage daughters, my sisters three children aged 3,8 and 10 and my sister in my bridal party. I was an older bride at 45 and all my friends are married so it felt right to include my children and my sisters. No one batted an eyelid and my friends all enjoyed the day as guests. It was perfect! Alternative to traditional bridesmaids 1

• R
    Beginner
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds perfect. My kids are quite little, so thinking I could ask my sister in law (my husband to be's brothers' wife) too, and her plus my two might be a nice way of doing it xx
  • Cassy
    Beginner September 2022 East London
    Cassy ·
    • Hide content

Do you have an organizator? or coordinator? you can tell about your problem them, and they'll help Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics