Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2016

Alternative to traditional speech

mous_tash, 16 of July of 2016 at 21:28 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi there, I'm hoping for some reassurance that my idea for an 'alternative' to a speech isn't crazy. Me and my OH are not very traditional, we do not have a best man, our bridesmaid is young, and we do not plan on having father of the brides do a speech, so this leaves only ourselves to make a speech. We are both terrified of the idea of public speaking, so plan on having our speech typed out on everyone's menu. We would then address our guests and explain that speeches filled us with dread, so we have written down a few thank you's and ask them to turn over their menus. However at what point would we make a toast? And how could we word the toast?

thanks for any advice

2 replies

Latest activity by lucyjo, 18 of July of 2016 at 09:46
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

We only had two guests. I made a little booklet/card for them that included a run down of timings for the wedding day and their menu for the meal and made the first bit a written heartfelt thank you for coming all the way to our wedding, their support and friendship. Doing the reading at our wedding etc. So in effect a similar idea. We didn't have speachesmdirectly but he friend did toast us with the free champagne the restaurant gifted us.

You could just ask a parent or friend to propose the toast after you have said no speeches but our thanks for all your support etc is in writing on your menus.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do it together, try not to think of it as public speaking, remember that theses people are your Family and Friends and you dont have to make it into a speech - its just the two of you thanking those for their help and others for attending.

Tell everyone from the start of your dread of speaking and you will find that you are not alone as many in that room will of gone through it themselves. Just do a Family and friends toast and/or those that are not with us then once that you have done that then arrange for someone to stand and propose a toast to the bride and groom, do all this before the meal so that you can then relax and enjoy your food.

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

We're doing something really similar! We don't have a best man, and my dad isn't really well enough to have the stress of the traditional father of the bride speech, so OH and I are the sole act!

We decided (or I did, as OH hates being the centre of attention and would rather not have got up at all, but I feel it's important we do, as we're the hosts!) to write a heartfelt message to everybody on a card at each place setting, with personalised ones for our closest family and friends who've helped us out the most. Then we're going to stand up together just after dessert, and just thank everyone for coming, say how grateful we are for everyone's support, and raise a toast to "new beginnings".

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics